Southern 100 Races Honoured
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Southern 100 Races Honoured
[Image: s100hdr2011.jpg]

The Southern 100 Road Races have received a special honour by the people of the town where the races have been held since 1955.

At a special ceremony in Castletown Town Hall, Senior Officials of the Southern ‘100’ Motorcycle Racing Club were invited to accept on behalf of the residents and commissioners of Castletown an especially designed Illuminated Address in recognition of the Southern 100, Pre TT Classic Races and the Post TT Races held on the Billown Circuit.

After the presentation, Club President, Derek Nicholson said:

‘I am very honoured to accept this unique Illuminated Address on behalf of the Southern 100 Motorcycle Racing Club, however, if it wasn’t for all who give their time and energy throughout the year and especially during the practice and race periods, be they Officials, Marshals, Competitors and their supporters and the enthusiasts and spectators who line the 4.25-mile Billown Circuit, the ‘friendly races’ would not be running today. We are extremely grateful to all who give their continued support.

He continued:

‘We are already well ahead with our plans for the three race meetings in 2011 and look forward to seeing old friends and welcoming new ones to Castletown in May, June and July next year.

The wording of the Illuminated Address reads:

“Presented to the Southern 100 Club as a tribute to the promoters of the Southern 100 Motorcycle Races since 1955, and recently the Pre TT and Post TT meetings.

Known as the ‘friendly races’ the organising committee are respected throughout the world.

The races play a great part in the events of the town and give a great deal of pleasure to spectators who enjoy the excitement of the mass start and the challenge to the riders on the Billown Circuit.

Riders and spectators have formed firm friendships with the people of the town, renewing them each year when they return from all over the world to watch or compete in the Southern 100.

We the undersigned Commissioners for the town of Castletown record on behalf of the people of the town our grateful thanks and gratitude to the Committee, Marshals, Caterers and Volunteers who have all given many years of service and dedication to the Southern 100, Castletown and the Isle of Man.

This Illustrated Address is a token of our thanks and the high esteem which the Southern 100 is held.”

[Image: s100plaque.jpg]

The Blackford Financial Services Pre TT Classic Road Races are due to be held on 27th, 28th & 30th May, followed by the Manx Telecom Post TT Road Races on the 11th June and the prestigious Steam Packet Southern 100 International Road Races will be held on 11th, 12th, 13th & 14th July, 2011.

Photo Caption l to r:

Peter Oates - Southern 100 Deputy Chairman

Phil Taubman - Southern 100 Chairman & Clerk of the Course

George Peach - Southern 100 Race Secretary

Colin Leather - Chairman of Castletown Commissioners

Derek Nicholson - Southern 100 President

Willy Clucas - Southern 100 Marshals Association President

David Kelly - Southern 100 Deputy Clerk of Works
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Website Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
RE: Southern 100 Races Honoured
Well done s 100 club,richely deserved.See you all next May.
PITLANE 07
01-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Find Reply