The Laverty brothers answer your questions
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
The Laverty brothers answer your questions
1. Who is the quickest of the brothers on a superbike, Michael, John or Eugene?

Michael: I would have to say Eugene, he has very little Superbike experience but he has been blisteringly fast in his first few outing on the Yamaha. You don't top Biaggi that easily!

John: I think it is hard to say. It depends on the situation, but Eugene has shown in the early pre-season tests how fast he is. I would like to see us all have a go on the same bike - that would decide it! Although I have never raced in 600 Supersport so I would have to say Superbike is probably my strength!

2. Would both of you ever want to end up in MotoGP?

Michael: I'd love to but I'm realistic enough to know that I will probably never get that opportunity. It takes a lot of things to fall into place to reach MotoGP with all the politics involved, I believe Eugene can and will make it there. As for myself I believe I have the potential to reach the top level in WSBK.

John: Everyone knows it is hard to get to MotoGP. It is ruled by a lot of different things, I think for the three of us it is most achievable for Eugene, because of the position he is currently in.

3. My twin brother and myself race at a very low standard of motocross, if I saw my brother crash I would stop and make sure he was ok before I went on my way, being the type of racing you both do that is impossible. What goes through your minds when you see each other go down and how much do you worry?

Michael: It is tough, I get more nervous watching John and Eugene than I do for myself. It's a horrible feeling when you realise it's your brother on the ground, you feel powerless, but the staff on hand can do more than you anyway so in a racing situation you have to try and block it out.

John: It is not nice to catch it in sight and you do feel a mix of worry and feeling gutted for them. We have never been in the same race though when it has happened, the closest example was at Knockhill a few years back when I crashed in practice. We all know though it happens, its unfortunately part of racing.

4. What is you best memory of the 2010 season?

Michael: Probably Croft, I knew what I was capable of but I think that was where I finally showed it.

John: It has to be the podium at Oulton Park for Buildbase Kawasaki. That was the strongest weekend of the season.

5. What do you think have been your biggest achievements to date?

Michael: Winning the British Supersport championship in 2007 and becoming a race winner in British Superbike during 2010

John: Winning the BSB Cup Championship in 2008. We made the move at the start of the season from Superstock to Superbike and won, thanks to everyone doing such a good job. And then getting on the podium this year when people wouldn't have expected us to be able to pull it off.

6. You are both changing manufacturers for next season - how much of a challenge is it to adapt to a new bike?

Michael: It takes time for sure, luckily the Swan Yamaha team have a good test schedule planned so I will get that time before Brands Hatch in April. I ran Magnetti Marelli electronics in 2010 but almost everything else is going to be new to me. It will take time to evaluate what riding style and body position works best with the Yamaha, as we have seen the bike seems to suit some riders more than others, it's up to me to adapt to the bikes strengths as best I can.

John: It hasn't been a problem for me in the past. I rode a Ducati in 2008 and then went and raced at Wanneroo in Australia on a Honda; within one session we were on the pace. That was switching from a twin to a four and I adapted fine, I think most of us can do it quite easily once we have had some laps under our belt.

7. How do you think you are similar and do you all tend to help each other over race weekends?

Michael: We have always helped each other in any way we can, as I share the circuit with John we try to help each other on track throughout practice and qualifying. Seeing what one of us does better than the other, both rider and bike wise can speed up your progress over the race weekend. We all talk openly and trust each others opinion; it has definitely been a benefit over the years. We all have similarities but then other areas were we differ, myself and Eugene are similarly minded technical geek wise, whereas John just relies on us for that!

John: I always do some laps with Michael as his lines are inch perfect and I like to have a bit of a gauge to see how I am improving, whereas he prefers a clear track I think! I give him some feedback and he does likewise, it is always a help.

8. Do you have any predictions for next season?!

Michael: I have a good feeling about next season for all three of us, but I wouldn't want to make any predictions right now. A couple of Superbike number one plates would be nice though!

John: I think the same as Michael on this one; all three of us with a few trips to the podium would be nice!
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Website Find Reply