What happened to those TT Dinners
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
What happened to those TT Dinners
Yes, I have been up in my loft again and dug out all the files pertaining to each year ending in a "1" to jog my memory of those days gone by.

And believe me, there is a fine collection for 1981. The Honda protest, Joey running out of fuel on lap three (great Doug Baird photos) and Crosby/Grant, Suzuki.

However, my memory was really jogged by the Motor Cycle Weekly 20th June 1981 (a thick TT edition with lots of detail) when I came to a column about a Dinner I attended that year at the Palace Hotel.

This Dinner was dedicated to Edgar Jessop and we all wore Plimsols or pumps and ate such delicacies as black pudding, cod, fish and chips, mushy peas and treacle tart. We drank tea and tizer !! It was to commemorate ten years since Edgar had first appeared at the TT. Chris Carter, the journalist, won the butty eating contest !

They were jolly evenings in those days and I know many of us miss that kind of events.

Can we see the new Palace franchise owners start doing similar events...If not is the Sulby Hotel willing to arrange such a do ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2011, 12:02 PM by ian huntly.)
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Website Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
RE: What happened to those TT Dinners
Didn't the ACU have those dinners banned over Health and Safety issues?

[Image: 500x_49.jpg]
09-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Wow, that's me, second from our left.

I thought photography at those events was banned especially when the black pudding (now called "sunburnt sausage" --P.C.) was served by the men in their exotic garments and the rituals were carried out behind closed doors !!

Good pic John !!! Anybody out there recognise themselves or can you put names to bodies ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM by ian huntly.)
10-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(09-01-2011, 08:00 PM)ian huntly Wrote: Yes, I have been up in my loft again and dug out all the files pertaining to each year ending in a "1" to jog my memory of those days gone by.

And believe me, there is a fine collection for 1981. The Honda protest, Joey running out of fuel on lap three (great Doug Baird photos) and Crosby/Grant, Suzuki.

However, my memory was really jogged by the Motor Cycle Weekly 20th June 1981 (a thick TT edition with lots of detail) when I came to a column about a Dinner I attended that year at the Palace Hotel.

This Dinner was dedicated to Edgar Jessop and we all wore Plimsols or pumps and ate such delicacies as black pudding, cod, fish and chips, mushy peas and treacle tart. We drank tea and tizer !! It was to commemorate ten years since Edgar had first appeared at the TT. Chris Carter, the journalist, won the butty eating contest !

They were jolly evenings in those days and I know many of us miss that kind of events.

Can we see the new Palace franchise owners start doing similar events...If not is the Sulby Hotel willing to arrange such a do ??
I certainly remember that evening Ian it was such a good evening. I took along the Ducati export sale manager who ignored the dress code, he thought we were all mad.
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Find Reply