MGP 2011
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
MGP 2011
Now that the entry fee's have been published http://www.manxgrandprix.org/

I wonder when the entry forms and regulations will be available.

The countdown is well on the way Crossfingers

Entry fees set for 2011 Manx Grand Prix

[Image: mgpcosts.jpg]
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM by Malcolm.)
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: MGP 2011
I am very confused... I now have been in contact with several racers (from the States) that would LOVE to race in the MGP, but they ALL have been denied a license.. Why..? because it seems you can NOT get a TT Course License if you do not have an ACU / SACU license, yet here listed are fees for non ACU / SACU license holders..????

This makes no sense to me.....

Ron
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(11-01-2011, 06:05 PM)Gstarron Wrote: I am very confused... I now have been in contact with several racers (from the States) that would LOVE to race in the MGP, but they ALL have been denied a license.. Why..? because it seems you can NOT get a TT Course License if you do not have an ACU / SACU license, yet here listed are fees for non ACU / SACU license holders..????

This makes no sense to me.....

Ron

As long as you satisfy the conditions (and send proof when applying to the ACU)for a ACU TT/MGP Mountain Course Licence, there is no reason why the USA racers would not be issued with a TT/MGP Licence.
11-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Chris, then why are these guys being denied..??? If you read the ACU rules, there seems to be no exception allowed... and I thought (like you) that there was...

Ron
12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Find Reply
ace Offline

Threads: 4
ACU Handbook states:

Any Nationality can and must have one, to compete in any event on the TT Mountain Course.

Enough US riders were at the TT.
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Find Reply
Will Loder Offline

Threads: 1
I believe it's because the ACU only recognise AMA racers not WERA or AMRHA racers
12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(12-01-2011, 08:04 PM)Will Loder Wrote: I believe it's because the ACU only recognise AMA racers not WERA or AMRHA racers

Will - surely it's not the ACU's right or duty to "recognise" any body or federation - that is for the FIM to do.

Mind you, since Porker thinks he's God Almighty . . . . . . .

All bets are off.

Icon_confused
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Find Reply
ammo Offline

Threads: 3
(12-01-2011, 09:27 PM)larryd Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 08:04 PM)Will Loder Wrote: I believe it's because the ACU only recognise AMA racers not WERA or AMRHA racers

Will - surely it's not the ACU's right or duty to "recognise" any body or federation - that is for the FIM to do.

Mind you, since Porker thinks he's God Almighty . . . . . . .

All bets are off.

Icon_confused

Pol Pot Porker is nothing to do with the ACU ( who issue the Course Licence ) any more, only ACU Events Ltd ( the TT organisers ) . The two are not one and the same thing but separate entities. Still confused Larry ?
13-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

All I know, is I just heard from another guy.. DENIED...! They all have AMA licenses, and they all have been racing for some years now... It is not just one or two guys.. the list is growing... the ACU well... seems like well... let's just say they are NOT being helpful at all...

Please, keep this one civil... I know you all want to help, and yes, any help is appreciated by these guys..!!

Cheers..!!

Ron
16-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Find Reply
David Taylor Offline

Threads: 0
If these guys all hold valid licenses, the only other thing I can think of holding things back would be the '6 events' rule. Have they all competed in 6 race meetings in the 13 months up to 30/06/11 making them eligible for a Mountain Course License?
David Taylor
16-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

The ACU "Supplementary Regulations" for the MGP is where the catch is... "ACU and SACU" license ONLY... the 2011 rules are not out yet.. this is what needs to be changed... IMO.

Ron
16-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Find Reply
David Taylor Offline

I'm very surprised to learn this! Perhaps it's worth asking how the Irish entrants on MCUI licenses manage to get around this rule?
David Taylor
17-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Find Reply
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
http://www.manxgrandprix.org/public%20co...202011.pdf

Proposed Saturday race for Newcomers
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
18-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Find Reply
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
Hi Guy,s and Gal,s well i can remember a lad from Japan doing the Classic MGP a few years back and he applied for an ACU road Race licence as the mountain course licence was,nt in at the time. He was turned down at first and then applied for an ACU race licence it was granted for the MGP but he had to hand over his Jap race licence it was returned to him when he handed back his ACU licence after the meeting. I will drop into the MGP Race office on monday and see what the organising club have to say about this... Ron can you let me know some contact details on the US riders rejected and ill get Caroline to contact them directly roll on MGP 2011....Irish Ago....
22-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Website Find Reply
David Taylor Offline

This sounds about right... I suspect Irish Ago is correct. I had to do something similar in Australia a few years back for a race at Bathurst. I handed over my ACU license in exchange for an Oz race license and swapped it back at the end.
I think there's some sort of FIM rule that says you can only hold one FMN license at any time and, if it's the Mountain Course, that would probably need to be an ACU license (- correct me if I'm wrong, MCUI riders).
As long as the ACU recognises the organising body for the rider's nation, it should just be a straight swap for the duration of the MGP. Some FMNs don't allow their license holders to compete on the Mountain Circuit (- Spain, I think) so I've heard of Spanish racers presenting Mexican(?) licenses!
It's all very confusing...;-)
David Taylor
24-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
(24-01-2011, 09:53 AM)David Taylor Wrote: This sounds about right... I suspect Irish Ago is correct. I had to do something similar in Australia a few years back for a race at Bathurst. I handed over my ACU license in exchange for an Oz race license and swapped it back at the end.
I think there's some sort of FIM rule that says you can only hold one FMN license at any time and, if it's the Mountain Course, that would probably need to be an ACU license (- correct me if I'm wrong, MCUI riders).
As long as the ACU recognises the organising body for the rider's nation, it should just be a straight swap for the duration of the MGP. Some FMNs don't allow their license holders to compete on the Mountain Circuit (- Spain, I think) so I've heard of Spanish racers presenting Mexican(?) licenses!
It's all very confusing...;-)

Over the last few years I have assisted riders from Italy, and France with their paperwork for racing in the MGP, and as long as their qualifications for the ACU Mountain Course were ok, they got issued with the ACU Mountain Course Licence, and still rode on their countries race licence. One of the problems for a rider if he surrenders his own countries licence, and takes out an UK ACU Race licence, is that in the event of an accident, the ACU only repatriate him to the UK, and not to their 'own' country. I have to say that I always find the staff at the ACU, and the MGP offices extremely helpful.
24-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
If people are still looking for clarification on this point there is a thread in the Stickies that addresses it:

Quote:The Manx Grand Prix is not inscribed with the FIM as an International Non Championship meeting. The MGP is permitted with the ACU and inscribed with the UEM as a "European Open" event.

Therefore as a UEM "European Open" event only riders with a licence issued by the federation of a European country are eligible to enter the event, ie ACU and SACU licence holders must have held as a minimum a National Licence issued by the ACU or the SACU for at least six months prior to the first day of practising on 20th August.

Competitors from other Federations within the UEM must have held as a minimum a National Licence issued by their FMN for a minimum of six months prior to the first day of practising.

For clarification and information, riders with a licence issued by a federation outside of Europe should contact Caroline Etherington, Race Secretary by email mgp@manx.net or phone +44(0)1624-644649.

Basically an International Licence does not automatically get you into the meeting, you need a licence issued by a European Federation member. So, non European riders, you may feel the Irish or Dutch federations are more rider friendly than the ACU, I couldn't possibly comment.
(This post was last modified: 24-03-2011, 02:36 PM by Tomcat.)
24-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Website Find Reply
Carolynn Offline

Threads: 3
(24-03-2011, 02:35 PM)Tomcat Wrote: If people are still looking for clarification on this point there is a thread in the Stickies that addresses it:

Quote:The Manx Grand Prix is not inscribed with the FIM as an International Non Championship meeting. The MGP is permitted with the ACU and inscribed with the UEM as a "European Open" event.

Therefore as a UEM "European Open" event only riders with a licence issued by the federation of a European country are eligible to enter the event, ie ACU and SACU licence holders must have held as a minimum a National Licence issued by the ACU or the SACU for at least six months prior to the first day of practising on 20th August.

Competitors from other Federations within the UEM must have held as a minimum a National Licence issued by their FMN for a minimum of six months prior to the first day of practising.

For clarification and information, riders with a licence issued by a federation outside of Europe should contact Caroline Etherington, Race Secretary by email mgp@manx.net or phone +44(0)1624-644649.

Basically an International Licence does not automatically get you into the meeting, you need a licence issued by a European Federation member. So, non European riders, you may feel the Irish or Dutch federations are more rider friendly than the ACU, I couldn't possibly comment.

The reason that USA competitors cannot compete at the Manx Grand Prix, is because of the licence status, nothing to do with the TT Course licence.
The Manx Grand Prix is a 'National' Licence event open to 'Amateur' competitors, which means that only competitors who hold a licence affiliated to the UEM (European Motorcycle Union http://www.uem-moto.eu/ ) can enter.
The TT is an 'International' licence event, which is governed by the FIM and open to all countries & licences.
In order to open the MGP up to American or Australian etc. etc. competitors, it would need to be made an International event & would therefore, no longer hold it's Amateur status.
I have been through this with several American people who would like to race at the MGP.
I also helped a competitor from the United Arab Emirates get an entry last year, but he had the fact that he was a UK national on his side and he still had to come to the UK and compete in some events that were affiliated to the UEM in order to qualify for an ACU licence to compete on at the MGP. As has been mentioned before, you cannot hold a licence from two different bodies in one year.
It is unfortunate, but even though I have had lengthy discussions with the MMCC & the ACU, I don't see a way around it, other than to obtain a licence from a UEM affiliated body.
I also echo what has been said before, contact Caroline for further clarification.
20-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Website Find Reply