Isle of Man TT Races Star Guy Martin to Appear in BBC One Primetime TV Show
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Isle of Man TT Races Star Guy Martin to Appear in BBC One Primetime TV Show
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

Isle of Man TT Races Star Guy Martin to Appear in BBC One Primetime Show With New TV Series

Ever-popular Isle of Man TT star Guy Martin is about to become a primetime celebrity on BBC One television.

With just weeks to go before the start of the 2011 Isle of Man TT fuelled by Monster Energy – which gets under way on May 30 – one of the event’s best-known names is to be presented to a whole new audience.

Already famous among TT fans for his fast-talking Lincolnshire brogue, passion for tinkering with anything mechanical and dedication to racing, as well as a love of a good brew, Guy’s unique personality is set to be unleashed on primetime BBC TV.

The Kirmington ace has been working on the series with North One Television – which produces the coverage of the TT. It has now been confirmed that the first programme in the series will be broadcast on BBC One at 7.30pm on Wednesday March 2nd.

[Image: Guyinboat.jpeg]

‘The Boat That Guy Built’ is a six-part series that follows Guy and his best mate Mark ‘Mave’ Davies as they attempt to fit out a narrow boat using the best British innovations from the Industrial Revolution.

Each half-hour episode will see the 29-year-old trying to complete a mission using only his homemade version of historical gadgets, from blast furnaces to steam engines. Along the way we see how he copes with using only historical methods to carry out everyday tasks, from taking a shower to making beans on toast – and, inevitably, brewing up the perfect mug of tea!

Guy is one of the TT’s most popular riders, his easy-going style, maverick character and passionate determination to win on the Mountain course has earned him thousands of fans around the world.

Despite his best efforts, Guy is still yet to take his maiden win at the TT – but 2011 could finally be his year. He has signed to one of the event’s most successful teams – Relentless Suzuki by TAS Racing – and he must start as a favourite for victory in at least one of the five solo races.

After several strong races, Guy’s 2010 TT ended with a fiery 170mph crash during the blue-riband Senior Race. Fortunately, he suffered relatively minor injuries – in fact he was back road racing by the Ulster Grand Prix just weeks later – and wasn’t put off his chief aim of finally taking to the top step of the podium at the TT.

North One Television’s CEO Neil Duncanson commented:

“We first met Guy in 2009 when we became involved with the TT Races and quickly realised that we had someone that was a real character. We had loads of fun filming with Guy and I’m sure that the show will appeal to a wide range of people and he’ll attract a whole new group of fans.”

Hon Allan Bell, MHK, Minister for Department of Economic Development commented:

“This series will give the TT Races a real boost in terms of profile and is a great opportunity for us to further grow the event’s appeal and generate more visitors to the Isle of Man and the TT Races.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Isle of Man TT Races Star Guy Martin to Appear in BBC One Primetime TV Show
After all of my years coming to the TT I have to query the intention of trying to increase the attendance at the TT by launching TV programmes and movies showing TT riders in other guises and gimmicks that leave you with migraine and or epilepsy.

I am sure that the 3DTT movie and Guy renovating a boat will certainly attract people but can the Isle of Man cope with an invasion ??

There are few hotels now, the parking needs to be sorted and not everyone wants to camp or homestay.

The roads are gridlocked and from the top of Bray Hill to Quarter Bridge is a nightmare. The number of true vantage spots to which the public can get is reducing and some of the great spectating areas are now closed.

Nobody could love the Island and the TT more than I, but it is now easier to follow practice and racing via the internet.

All you need is an old brake pad soaked in oil being heated over a low flame while you listen to Charlie Lambert and his team and follow individual riders on your laptop with a bottle of wine or beer sittiing in your favourite chair.

These facts may yet bite the IOM on the bum.

Of course, I'm booked to come, as usual, but parking has been really bad for a few years now and I think it is a priority to resolve this, especially since this is the Centenary year of the Mountain Circuit.

Yes, I drive a car but some bikes are parked across car spots, effectively using up space for a four wheeled vehicle with a two wheeler plonked diagonally.

Could we perhaps have some car spaces divided in half longitudinally with a line so it would be natural to park two bikes in one car space ?

I would like to have some sensible observations on this topic.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2011, 08:35 PM by ian huntly.)
06-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(06-03-2011, 08:33 PM)ian huntly Wrote: After all of my years coming to the TT I have to query the intention of trying to increase the attendance at the TT by launching TV programmes and movies showing TT riders in other guises and gimmicks that leave you with migraine and or epilepsy.

I am sure that the 3DTT movie and Guy renovating a boat will certainly attract people but can the Isle of Man cope with an invasion ??

There are few hotels now, the parking needs to be sorted and not everyone wants to camp or homestay.

The roads are gridlocked and from the top of Bray Hill to Quarter Bridge is a nightmare. The number of true vantage spots to which the public can get is reducing and some of the great spectating areas are now closed.

Nobody could love the Island and the TT more than I, but it is now easier to follow practice and racing via the internet.

All you need is an old brake pad soaked in oil being heated over a low flame while you listen to Charlie Lambert and his team and follow individual riders on your laptop with a bottle of wine or beer sittiing in your favourite chair.

These facts may yet bite the IOM on the bum.

Of course, I'm booked to come, as usual, but parking has been really bad for a few years now and I think it is a priority to resolve this, especially since this is the Centenary year of the Mountain Circuit.

Yes, I drive a car but some bikes are parked across car spots, effectively using up space for a four wheeled vehicle with a two wheeler plonked diagonally.

Could we perhaps have some car spaces divided in half longitudinally with a line so it would be natural to park two bikes in one car space ?

I would like to have some sensible observations on this topic.

Hi Ian,

As you know I have been attending the TT since 1958 and would not miss it for the world. For a number of years now there has been a problem in finding places, ( guest houses/hotels etc ) for people to stay in, you are correct when you say that not everybody wants to stay in home stay or to camp. With this year being the centennial of the the mountain circuit, I believe that there will be a lot more people visiting, consequently there will have to be more places for people to stay. I have a friend from Germany who is trying to find somewhere "nice" for him and his family to stay, (there are six of them) He has tried the "first class" hotels in Douglas and the surrounding area they have no vacancies, what are people like this s'posed to do ?. The traffic situation at times Ian is awful,
I stay in Union Mills and after one race day it took me over an hour to travel from the grandstand to Union Mills. Parking is very bad, especially in Douglas, yes, there is more that could be done by the traffic dep't at Douglas corporation, but maybe they police what they can, and look forward to everybody going home. It must be very difficult for the authorities to know what to do regarding the TT and Manx GP, over the last ten or fifteen years or so a lot of hotels and guest houses have disappeared from the island especially in Douglas, and yes they want, and need more and more people to visit what is still one of the worlds greatest sporting spectacles. I am hoping to visit the Isle of man and the TT for many years to come, and like you Ian I will have to put up with the
problems that a infrastructure like the IOM's at TT and Manx GP time put on it. But there must come a time when the authorities will say, " We will have to think this one through, WE ARE FULL."

Having said all that I am really looking forward to this years TT, and of course the mountain course centennial celebrations. As I have already said I believe that the TT is one of the worlds great sporting spectacles, and once you are there, it is ( apart from some private viewing spots) free. Over the last few years the management and race organization has been world class, and I for one would like to thank them.

See you all at the end of May.!
16-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I have now watched 3 programmes of Guys series and find it is going from bad to worse....What has he got himself into. I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be watching number 4.

We like Guy but people who I know but do not follow motorcycle racing have classified it as c**p and switched off after the first one.

It's sad but I think Guy has been ill advised about this way of entering the media, his priority this year is to win a TT not fall into the shoes of Sir Norman Wisdom.

I'm sorry Guy I love you like a bruvver but the six progs could have been an hour prog and that would have been enough.

Hollywood beckons but this is NOT the route..............

Hon Mr Bell he say...
This series will give the TT Races a real boost in terms of profile and is a great opportunity for us to further grow the event’s appeal and generate more visitors to the Isle of Man and the TT Races

No Mr Bell it certainly will not !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
16-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Website Find Reply