Tim’s fightback from horror crash
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Tim’s fightback from horror crash
[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
Published on the IOMonline website,
Monday 14th March 2011

A young racer is battling back from horrific injuries sustained in a terrible crash in the Manx Grand Prix.

Tim Venables was seriously injured at Greeba in the Junior Manx Grand Prix last year. Only 48 hours earlier the local lad had been the hero of the day in the Newcomers A race – smashing the lap record by almost eight seconds.

To say it has been a testing six months for Tim and his family is an understatement. Mum Tory has stopped working her job as cabin crew for Flybe to nurse her son back to health.

From the family home in Farmhill, she said: ‘Tim was touch and go for a while. He sustained a serious head injury, one burst and three cracked vertebrae, a punctured lung, cracked pelvis and severed his brachial plexus [nerve fibres than run from the spinal cord down the arms].

‘Due to the intercranial pressure surgeons had to put a bolt into his head, when this failed, the swelling and pressure became so acute that they had to perform a massive craniotomy [a flap cut out from the head] to save his life.

‘The recommendation was that his nerve fibres were mended within three to six months to ensure the best outcome, so, with no word from the NHS, we had no choice but to go private for that operation.’

At £10,000 such expertise isn’t cheap, but the surgeons’ prognosis is that the 22-year-old will have ‘near enough a full recovery’ once the strapping comes off in six weeks.

When asked if Tim would ever race again, mum Tory said: ‘For me it’s a definite no! To be honest he had my blessing for the track and circuit racing, but never for the road.

[Image: tvenablesheadshot.jpg]

‘Tim has been talking though, and he has said how much he would have loved to race up at Jurby with the number one plate. Tim won the Isle of Man ACU Centre solo road race championship in 2010.

‘Regarding the Manx GP, the only thing Tim feels is sadness about his victory in the Newcomers A race. He says he can’t remember a thing about the entire festival, much less the individual race. He doesn’t recall the MRO Powerbikes superstock series either – which he was also leading.

‘It must be a strange thing to have achieved so much so young and just as quickly to have forgotten it ever existed.’

Speaking of his future ambitions, the former pupil of Queen Elizabeth II High School, said: ‘I was starting my second year as an electrical engineer at Loughborough University when I had my crash.

‘If possible, I would love to be able to return and complete my degree course this September and continue on my chosen career path with the MEA.’

Despite his brain injury, mum Tory hopes he can achieve this dream, saying: ‘Prior to his accident Tim’s lecturers said that he had the ability to go on to masters level.

‘The consultant neurosurgeons believe his innate intelligence is intact. However, it is essential that he receives up to six months intensive psychological therapy to repair the trauma.’

Dad Brian, who himself won the Junior and Senior MGP in 1994, has found a centre of neurological excellence in London who have the necessary expertise, however, at £600 per day, the total bill of over £100,000 will be a serious financial blow.

But with the help of friends, family and support from the local community they aim to try to raise as much money as possible to help Tim on his way.

They are calling upon the Manx people to try their best to get behind their campaign to bring him back to health.

Sister Jocelyn said: ‘This Saturday I have arranged a quiz night and hot pot in the Ginger Hall [in Sulby]. It’s just £5 per person. There will be a raffle for, among other things, Steam Packet tickets and a Rolex watch up for grabs. Please come along and show your support, it will be a great night.’

Fellow racers Olie Linsdell, Dan Kneen, Dave Molyneux, Jonny Heginbotham and Dave Kennington will be there to show their support for Tim.

Former sponsor Mo Owen from Station Garage in Castletown is also planning a ‘night at the races’ on May 20 in the British Legion in Douglas.

Brian and Tory added: ‘A huge thank you to everyone who helped Tim, including the helicopter staff, the air ambulance, the marshals, acute care in Noble’s, staff from Walton Hospital and all those who took the time to send on their best wishes – it means so much to us.’
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
14-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Website Find Reply