Hutchy on Track for North West 200
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Hutchy on Track for North West 200
[Image: relentlessnorthwest2011hdr.jpg]

Relentless International North West 200 technical director Mervyn Whyte MBE has confirmed that Ian Hutchinson will compete at the event on 21st May. The 31 year old Yorkshire rider will be guest of honour at the Coleraine Borough Council hosted media event next Thursday (7th April) which will announce details of both Superbike races ahead of Race Week.

Hutchy, who suffered major injuries at Silverstone last September has been working hard since early January to regain full fitness following a number of operations pre-Christmas. “Training and physio sessions are currently going extremely well and I’m feeling very good and have regained weight. I’m working out in the gym three times a week using the cross trainer and cycling machines and am also receiving regular physiotherapy on my legs. The metal frames are still protecting my legs but I’m certainly not in any pain and the doctors are really delighted with my recovery process.

“I’m also out on the roads cycling as well as using a quad bike on off road trails near my home and all these activities are helping me regain strength and fitness in preparation for the metal cages coming off around Easter time. We’re airing on the side of caution by not aiming for Brands Hatch on 22/25 April, but I’ll be coming along to Brands to sample the atmosphere and see everyone. In addition Shaun Muir Racing and the Swan Yamaha team plan to unveil my new superbikes and by that stage I should be able to walk about ‘cage-free.’ I must admit I’m really looking forward to it.”

Bingley man Hutchy, who made history at the 2010 TT by winning five solo races and beating Phillip McCallen’s record, is also very much looking forward to the Relentless backed North West as he believes it’s an excellent course to make a come back on. “Whilst Race Day is hard work, the track is not a busy one and the two practice sessions and especially Thursday daytime will give me the chance to ease back into competitive racing.” explained Ian. “We plan to take part at Croft the week before the North West, but will also undergo regular testing pre Croft in preparation for the NW Superbike, 600cc and Superstock races.”

Immediately following Ian’s Silverstone crash medical teams predicted a two year recovery timeline, but following Hutchy’s attitude and determination to make a full recovery during hospitalisation coupled with his gym work and training schedules post Christmas, surgeons then forecast a timescale of a year which has since been reduced to six months. “It’s been hard work both mentally and physically but I’m really pleased with my progress to date. I would like to wholeheartedly thank the medical team at Coventry, who looked after all the bone work and Bradford Royal Infirmary, who managed the skin grafting programme. Both teams have been absolutely amazing and will continue to support me over the coming weeks. Now I just need to be patient and keep up my training schedule so that I’m fully fit and ready for the imminent removal of the metal cages. “

Technical director Mervyn Whyte said it was great news that Hutchy’s recovery programme is progressing well ahead of schedule. “Ian has two North West wins under his belt taking Supersport trophies in 2006 and 2010 and the Coleraine Club is delighted his name is on the grid for 2011. Ian has always been a great competitor and I know all the fans will be looking forward to seeing him on the 8.9 mile course. We wish him well over the coming weeks.”

Relentless International North West 200 Race Day takes place on Saturday 21st May with roads closing at 10am.

Practice sessions are scheduled for Tuesday 17th May (evening) with a daytime practice on Thursday 19th May.

For details on grandstand packages, programmes and VIP hospitality tickets visit http://www.northwest200.org.
30-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Website Find Reply