James Toseland: My life is on hold
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
James Toseland: My life is on hold
[Image: toselandheadshot.jpg]

World Superbike star James Toseland reveals how his wrist injury has put his life on hold.

Well it’s been over a week since I broke my wrist and I am just starting to come to terms with how hard the next few months are going to be. Getting injured is a complete nightmare and for a professional sportsman it is right at the top of list of things you could do without!

The injury itself is not what you struggle with, it’s the boredom, the constant sympathy and inability to do what you want to do and what you have always done. Essentially my life has been put on hold. I cannot ride, train, drive or even play the piano.

Obviously I have had injuries before and ones that have been a lot worse than this, but you can never train yourself to deal with the boredom and the disappointment. Professional athletes live for routine but when you get injured that just goes out of the window. It’s really annoying!

Obviously in this game you come to terms early on that injury and risk are part and parcel of the job. It’s very rare for a racer to make it through a career and not suffer some sort of injury. I just hate it when my number is up.

I went down to Donington Park on Friday to show my face and catch up with the team. It’s so hard being in the paddock when you’re not racing; just seeing the guys out on track and knowing I should be out there kills me. It’s fair to say I didn’t last long. I managed to spend some time with fans and speak with a few people but after an hour I just wanted to leave. I really struggle with sympathy.

My only aim now is to try and get back for Monza, but realistically that may be a bit of a struggle. With it being my right hand I need to make sure it is fully recovered before I get back on the bike as it only takes one little tumble and I could be back where I started. It’s really hard because I want to be back as soon as I can but I know I cannot underestimate the time this will take to heal.

Finally I would like to thank everyone for the get well messages and all your support to date; although I don’t enjoy the sympathy, it does help to know that people are thinking of you. I just need time to get my head around everything and get started with my rehab. I will do everything I can to get back sooner rather than later.

James Toseland / Eurosport
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
31-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Website Find Reply