British Superbike Championship Blasts Into Brands Hatch This Easter
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
British Superbike Championship Blasts Into Brands Hatch This Easter
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

This Easter weekend (22-25 April) the eagerly-anticipated opening round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship will take place at Brands Hatch, as 38 riders from eight different nations battle it out on track for the first time this year.

Double BSB champion Shane 'Shakey' Byrne from nearby Sittingbourne and Lingfield’s Tommy Hill will be preparing to give their home crowd something to celebrate for the HM Plant Honda and Swan Yamaha teams respectively. Both riders have their sights firmly set on victory at their home track, so expect a turf war between the two Kent-based riders, whilst Maidstone’s Scott Smart will by vying for glory in the Evo class on his BSB return for the Moto Rapido Ducati team.

Byrne said:

“It’s been a long winter but I am really ready to race now. The Brands Hatch weekend is going to be massive; it is a track I have missed dearly since the last time I raced in BSB back in 2008. To be honest rolling down Paddock Hill Bend on the HM Plant Honda on Good Friday will be enough to put a smile on my face from the start. I always seem to get lots of local support there and I want to do a good job on Easter Monday for the fans as well as myself and the team. The talking stops at Brands Hatch; it is then all about the racing.”

Hill said:

“I just want to get to Brands Hatch. We set a new lap record at Cartagena in Spain and we felt confident after those tests. Once we have the first day on Good Friday to blow the cobwebs away we just need to be consistent and score some good points. That was the approach I had last season and I came away with a first and second place plus the championship lead. I just need to push on at my home circuit, get the best results I can for the Swan Yamaha team and then prepare for Oulton Park the following weekend.”

However, an influx of international stars will also be ready to pile the pressure on to the British contingent including American ace John Hopkins, who makes his debut in BSB following a recent return to MotoGP for the Spanish round, and Australian Josh Brookes who finished in second overall in 2010 and now lines up for Relentless Suzuki. The opening round will also see BSB history being made as Jenny Tinmouth becomes the first female rider to compete in the championship.

Hopkins said:

“It’s going to be a big weekend and there are lots of good riders out on track who all have proved they can challenge for the wins and I know it is going to be tough. I have been told that an American rider has never won a BSB race; it would definitely be cool to make history and it would be a great achievement too.”

Reigning MCE Insurance British Superbike champion Ryuichi Kiyonari begins his title defence this weekend as the Japanese ace bids for an unprecedented fourth championship crown. Kiyonari is currently the most successful rider in BSB history with a record 41 race wins and last season equalled Niall Mackenzie’s record of three titles; however the HM Plant Honda rider believes that this could be one of the hardest seasons he has every experienced as he prepares for the opening two races next weekend.

Kiyo said:

“Our pre-season testing has been very good. I think we are in a better place now than we were before Brands Hatch last year because we have tried very hard over the winter to improve as we want to win again! There are lots of very good riders in BSB and it is going to be important to be winning races at every round. The races should be exciting for the fans, because it is so unpredictable this year. I want to win at Brands Hatch, for myself and the team and also the people of Japan.”

The four day Easter extravaganza includes an action-packed programme of 18 races during the weekend with the opening two British Superbike Championship races taking place on Easter Monday. The UK’s first female stunt rider Chesca Miles, will also be performing for the crowds on raceday (Easter Monday). Chesca first experienced the adrenaline rush by becoming a stunt pillion rider, but it wasn’t long before she decided to try stunt riding first hand and already she has rocketed to stardom for her skill with the Stunt Starz team.

BSB practice is on Friday and Saturday, with qualifying on Sunday and the two 30 laps races of the opening round are on Easter Monday.

Book your tickets in advance now for the opening round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch this Easter weekend (22-25 April). Advance adult tickets for the main raceday (Easter Monday) cost £25 online in advance until midday Wednesday with children aged 12 and under free.

For more information and to book visit http://www.brandshatch.co.uk or call 0843 453 9000
20-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Website Find Reply