Manx GP times
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manx GP times
Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of the worst times for the last Manx GP 600cc?

I want to know if my lap times are worthy of an entry.

Thanks

JM
06-07-2002, 04:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Manx GP times
If you're a newcomer, you'll have no problem
making the qualifying time.
Have you even seen the course yet?
The classic guys are good to follow, not ones
with orange jackets mind!
I'm sure if you look up Barry Wood or Richard
[Milky] Quayle you'll get good advice.
Best I can give you is be sensible and learn it,
aim to finish your first!
If you do 28/29 mins on first lap its a good start
to build on.
06-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Qualifying times for the junior, which includes 600s is 25 mins which is approx 90 mph. Newcomers 600 is 26 mins which is about 87 mph, which is reasonably easy even if youve never been before. Its too late to enter this year, give it a go next year if its what you want to do. Youll need a National Licence. If you want to have a look at the regs you can download them at <A HREF="http://www.iommgp.com">www.iommgp.com</A> . Click on "info for for riders" .When you first read them it may seem a bit daunting, but basically its like a glorified club meeting in a lot of ways, everyone will be willing to help you, offer advice etc . Why dont you come as a spectator this year to see what happens?

Ammo
06-07-2002, 07:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, click on " MGP Database" first, then " Info for riders"
06-07-2002, 07:46 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the feedback....Downloading the documents now, hope to be on the line up next year...

I live on the IOM, only moved here recently, but my first lap was 45 minutes, second 53minutes, and then...

I went for a lap with the missus on the back, someone said I should aim for my best time with her on board and if I could get near that, try again without her.

So, a couple of weeks ago, off we went, Saturday night a 9:08pm crossed the start line, 9:48pm crossed the finish line, so lap time of 40 minutes two up, on open roads, i.e with oncoming traffic. It was fairly quiet....

I am pleased as punch with that time, the missus wasnot too impressed but enjoyed it none the less......

Thanks again for the advice, look out for me at next years MGP, I will keep posting any further updates, like how I get on with my application for a national ACU license...
06-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Youll find that on closed roads its completely different as you can straight line a lot of the corners, and, of course, you dont have to worry about speed limits!!! The Manx Motorcycle club do seem to like you to have some Road racing experience, although when I first entered I only had short circuit experience, and was accepted, so why dont you look at doing some of the other Road races first, like Jurby road etc, for which youll also need a National licence now, I believe.
As you now live on the IOM Im sure there be no shortage of people to turn to for advice. Come on, all you Manxies, give the bloke some help!
07-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Listen mate,have you actually ever raced a bike before? It took me four years to get my National licence to do the Manx,with lots of trips away to UK circuits to gain experience and points.

Most of the guys you see racing in the TT and the Manx have come through the same route.You dont just turn up and ride you know.

And doing laps around against the clock with the missus on the back is going to end in tears sooner or later.Lots of the circuit goes through country villages with a 30 mph speed limit!

Never mind what the slowest speeds were in the Manx--chances are those riders had some problems with their machines.If you aim to do the Manx yourself in the future,get your ACU novice licence,join a club and start racing.There are no magical short cuts.Most non-racers havent a clue what dedication is required to get on to the grid for a meeting like the Manx.
07-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steady Barry. Are we sure that this isn't a wind-up?

Mind you, if he is in fact serious, I can only say that your reply is VERY restrained!!!

He's either a wind-up merchant or a donkey . . . . . . . . .
08-07-2002, 12:28 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

'Course you can just turn up and ride, Barry, George Formby did!!!!! lol
08-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know of someone (Martin Sharpe ) who started racing again just recently, although he had done so before, in the 80s I believe, and got a National in less than a year , but I believe both him and the bike ended up halfway up a tree somewhere just recently!! Hes now decided to retire --- again !!!
08-07-2002, 06:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

08-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: british car grand prix
i have a car what is the slowest lap yesterday for the grand prix at silverstone ?
I drove round it with the wife and 6 kids in and was 2 seconds slower than Coulhard is it worth me entering next year
do i need a special license or just the one to drive the dodgems at Alton Park ?
answers on the back of a stamp to
Mr D Head
House of Dreams
Loony Bin

08-07-2002, 11:49 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, Geddit. I didnt think they had motorways in them days, though, Barry?
10-07-2002, 06:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many thanks for the constructive and un-constructive comments.

Shows that there are some really helpful people out there, and there are some idiots...

Thanks again

JM

10-07-2002, 11:00 AM