McIntyre Memorial
Anonymous
Unregistered

McIntyre Memorial
There was quite a bit said about the demise of the McIntyre Memorial up on the TT Course----
It is very sad that this should happen and we need some news that something will be done to replace it with a more permanent memorial----
After all he won the eight lap 1957 TT and broke through the 100mph barrier--No mean achievement in them thar days ---
Can I see some positive action from any quarter to see a new memorial to Bob--He sure deserves it
and perhaps either Honda or Gilera might start the ball rolling---Do we send contributions to a central point perhaps---LETS DO SOMETHING !!!!!
09-07-2002, 08:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: McIntyre Memorial
Agreed 100% count me in, Bob was one of the best.
09-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to say that it was Bob Mac who I first noticed when I wer' a lad! The famous "granite jaw!" Yes, he must not be forgotten. I remember going to the Bob McIntyre Memorial Meeting at Oulton Park in er... 19 "canteen?!!" My memory is slipping. '62?
I went on a mates pillion on an elderly Matchless twin "all the way to Cheshire." We got there ok but broke down on the way back at Tamworth I seem to remember.
I must say that I didn't know that there was a memorial on the Island in the first place.
I agree that getting Honda and Gilera involved would be a good thing. Mind you, it was a helmet manufacturer who sponsored the Joey statue. Did Bob use a Cromwell or an Everoak.
Ah, memories eh?
Mike
10-07-2002, 09:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Memories of a great man.Bob Mac,stayed with us,at our pub,when he raced at Oulton.Other members of the Mac pack were,Pim Fleming,Alistair King,Gordon Bell,Dave Duncan.The latter pair used to ride,Clubmans at oulton,Then go on to the MANX.Great memories of great men,of our great sport.cheers roger.
10-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right then---I NEED help---what shall WE do--I appear to be the instigator but I require strong men and true to help me get this underway---Who can help me,a mere mortal, to get this to the people who can help--Personally I would be willing to receive donations to set up a fund to have a new Memorial up and on show by next years TT---Who's in with me then !!!?????

Who knows who I can contact in Gilera for instance--Can Mr G Duke help in this matter please--We want a proper standing memorial to Bob and his achievements--Who is with me ?????

This is what this page should be about !
11-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll make a donation Ian, building materials or cash,It wont be a lot but I'm sure most on here will help with whatever they can.

john
11-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Next thing--to what design will the dedication be ??

Certainly it needs to be something permanent which will last longer than this earlier memorial--Let's design something !!
Any ideas--

I mean to do something--This is a great opportunity to do something good that will last .....Where do we start and where will it be sited ???
11-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please note---I do not wish to step on anyones toes in this matter---If something is being done already to prepare a memorial to Bob I will be willing to help--However it appears that nothing has been done since the TT--ANY INFO PLEASE ???
11-07-2002, 10:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, the local planning office would want a say in what you could put up, something practical like a stone bench would be in with a chance.

john
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Further to telephone call, Bob on his Honda 250-4 broke down on Quarry Bends after a 99.58 mph lap--
Perhaps this could be a better and more permanent site--You cannot see Scotland as one can at Guthries but to me it would be an ideal site of memory...For I was there when he coasted to a halt !!---
Right that's all for tonight but come on you lot--Bob deserves this so let's get it under way--PLEDGES PLEASE
11-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, I can't help financially but as a huge fan of Bob McIntyre, who to me, was the TT, I support you in your efforts. Good luck.
11-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be prepared to help in any way I can.
If a fund starts, cout me in.
If you need some admin help, let me know.
By the way, just a thought.
A short distance from Quarry Bends is a well known watering hole, and a second home for me! The Sulby Glen Hotel.
Now, I just wonder..... Perhaps we could ask Rosie to be involved in some way?
A plaque on the pub wall?
A stone bench somewhere?
I am just letting my mind wander!
I would be happy to talk to Rosie if it would help.

Mike
13-07-2002, 08:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Build a marshalls shelter,nothing fancy, but to last and be amemorial to BOB. cheers roger.
17-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats an excellent idea.
Any suggestions as to where?
I presume that a shelter is more appropriate somewhere up on the mountain(?) where it would indeed be a shelter.
Lets keep the momentum going shall we?

Mike

20-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

MIKE,everyone naturally thinks a shelter should be on the mountain.My idea would be BLACK DUB area.CHEERS ROGER.
24-07-2002, 10:16 PM