ride through penalties
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
ride through penalties
I,ve just watched a re-run of the clash between Pedrosa and Simoncelli and it begs the question,if ride through,s had been the norm in those black and white days of yesteryear,then George Shuttleworth could have :just cruised to his victory in the Senior: after the rough treatment dished out to him. A truely first class ride against the odds,got the win,got the lady,and so modest in victory,surely one of the best rides in tt history. Did he retire after the race and live happy ever after,i hope so.
16-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: ride through penalties
(16-05-2011, 03:58 PM)ian charlton Wrote: I,ve just watched a re-run of the clash between Pedrosa and Simoncelli and it begs the question,if ride through,s had been the norm in those black and white days of yesteryear,then George Shuttleworth could have :just cruised to his victory in the Senior: after the rough treatment dished out to him. A truely first class ride against the odds,got the win,got the lady,and so modest in victory,surely one of the best rides in tt history. Did he retire after the race and live happy ever after,i hope so.

I hope and believe that he lived happy ever after !, What is your verdict on the Pedrosa, Simoncelli spat, who's fault was it ?.
16-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Pat,i feel that it was maybe an aggressive pass,but was a pure racing incident. I feel that simoncelli,from the camera angle,had made the pass and that Pedrosa had been taken by surprize and sqeezing his brake caused a little understeer,had he ,they,not touched it would have been hailed a good manouvre,but that,s what happens in close racing.Not what we want to see on the tt course where trust and confidence in the riders around you are paramount and most important.that,s my view,but it would be good to hear any other views.It won,t do simoncelli,s reputation much good,but that,s what happens at the pointy end ,it,s more a shame that a rider suffered injury,hopefully he,ll make a good ,quick recovery.
While we,re mentioning gp riders,i,d like to see valentino race at the tt.I know that it will never happen,but he,s done motor- biking in general a power of good,and i think he allways conducts himself well and is still bursting with youthfull enthusiasm,he spoke well of his visit to the tt and the competitors and i believe his voiced opinions were honest.I think SMB will look down on him with a smile and be proud of him.
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2011, 06:07 PM by ian charlton.)
16-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
A personal opinion and not that of Administrator

I believe that it was no more than a racing incident, perhaps a bit on the exuberant side where Simoncelli was concerned, however also believe that it was no worse than the move that Lorenzo made earlier in the race on Dovizioso.

I feel that a certain "clique" is developing within MotoGP whereby anyone who upsets them and who "threatens" their supposed "superiority" is castigated in any way possible, in order to discredit them, and to prevent their inclusion within the "fraternity".

I witnessed far worse passes and "contact" incidents in both the 125 and Moto2 races on the same day, but those guys didn't complain, they just got on with it.

As the two persons involved are both riders for HRC ( Simoncelli on the Gresini satellite ride), it would be interesting to hear what take HRC have on the incident.

I can see MotoGP going the same way as Premier League football in the future- It will become a total "No Contact" sport whereby any incident whatsoever where two riders come together will result in play acting in order to gain unfair advantage with a total lack of integrity apparent in most if not all participants.

I would love to hear the opinion of some of the older past participants of MotoGP on what happened between Simoncelli and Pedrosa.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
16-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Website Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(16-05-2011, 06:15 PM)Malcolm Wrote:
A personal opinion and not that of Administrator

I believe that it was no more than a racing incident, perhaps a bit on the exuberant side where Simoncelli was concerned, however also believe that it was no worse than the move that Lorenzo made earlier in the race on Dovizioso.

I feel that a certain "clique" is developing within MotoGP whereby anyone who upsets them and who "threatens" their supposed "superiority" is castigated in any way possible, in order to discredit them, and to prevent their inclusion within the "fraternity".

I witnessed far worse passes and "contact" incidents in both the 125 and Moto2 races on the same day, but those guys didn't complain, they just got on with it.

As the two persons involved are both riders for HRC ( Simoncelli on the Gresini satellite ride), it would be interesting to hear what take HRC have on the incident.

I can see MotoGP going the same way as Premier League football in the future- It will become a total "No Contact" sport whereby any incident whatsoever where two riders come together will result in play acting in order to gain unfair advantage with a total lack of integrity apparent in most if not all participants.

I would love to hear the opinion of some of the older past participants of MotoGP on what happened between Simoncelli and Pedrosa.

Malcolm i could not agree with you more.
16-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

I would also like to add that in my opinion Stoner should have been more severely reprimanded, in addition to a far heftier fine instead of the measly 5,000 Euros that he was fined, for his actions when he was attempting to overtake De Puniet in qualifying.

Punching De Puniet on the upper left arm as he went past him and for what - supposedly getting in his way when he (Stoner) was trying to better his qualifying time. De Puniet moved off the "racing line" (correct action as he had seen Stoner approaching seconds beforehand) and yet Stoner who was supposedly on the racing line as he was attempting to improve his times, slowed and then punched De Puniet.

That in itself could have resulted in a much more serious incident, with De Puniet possibly falling off his machine and injuring himself.

Stoners attitude smacks of a "How dare you get in my way" attitude as far as I am concerned and I would not have been surprised if De Puniet had "stuck one on Stoner" behind the motorhome afterwards.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 16-05-2011, 08:13 PM by Malcolm.)
16-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Website Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

I agree completely.Whilst Casey is undoubtedly a rider of the highest degree,his sportsmanship is little more than disgusting,i enjoy watching him ride,i turn the sound down at the interviews.Not that it will bother him of course.
16-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
(16-05-2011, 08:17 PM)ian charlton Wrote: I agree completely.Whilst Casey is undoubtedly a rider of the highest degree,his sportsmanship is little more than disgusting,i enjoy watching him ride,i turn the sound down at the interviews.Not that it will bother him of course.
De Puniet said he was slowing up to adjust his brakes....according to the report I watched. He could have caused a serious accident. I thought his actions irresponsible, surely he would have realised there may have been someone travelling at speed behind him. I do not condone Casey's actions afterwards, however.
I think people get the wrong idea about Casey. Unlike a lot of present day competitors he hails from a tiny town in country Australia, the family did it the hard way and IMO he did not have the best of management in training him to deal with issues off the track. He is a 'country boy' and comes from a different class to some of the other riders.
Simoncelli made a bit of an assertive move and maybe Dani could have survived if he hadn't sat up. Anyway that's how I saw it. Ride through penalty a bit tough. I must say that Simoncelli's racing worries me at times.
16-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Stoners attitude smacks of a "How dare you get in my way" attitude

No offence Jan, but the spotty youth isn't the first whinging Oz to think that the track belongs to them and them only.

Doohan?

Gardner?

I rest my case - perhaps they should all take a course in how to race from Keith Bryen, or even Jolly Jack A ??

To be fair, though, some of the Yanks were just as bad.

What worries me is that some of our Irish road-racing "stars" are now putting forward the thought that any rider who is about to be lapped should be red-flagged.

What is our sport coming to?
17-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Ha, ha. Knew I'd rattle some cages. lol. Keith Bryen was given some very interesting advice by Maurie Quincey in relation to passing manoeuvres which he related to me. I now watch current day racers much more closely when two are approaching a corner where some overtaking might take place.
Can't believe the red flag suggestion re lapped riders. Don't agree with that one.
17-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

[Image: sancarlohondahdr.jpg]

UNINTENTIONAL INCIDENT!

Marco Simoncelli and his team are disappointed this afternoon. An incident in the Le Mans race has left a bad taste in the mouths of the Team San Carlo Honda Gresini –not least because of the resulting injury to Dani Pedrosa. It also led to the missing out on a praiseworthy podium for rider Marco Simoncelli. Previous controversies over the past few weeks perhaps led to the punishment for an unintentional incident. The team are disappointed to have missed out on second place after a great race, and reiterate that the collision was unintentional on Simoncelli’s part.

Marco Simoncelli (5th)

“I am unhappy about what happened, because a result that was within my reach was denied and above all because of the fact that Pedrosa is hurt. In my opinion the incident went like this: Pedrosa was having a bit of difficulty –I had pulled alongside him and passed him on the previous three laps. When he passed me back I was not intentionally trying to resist, and my telemetry shows that I got on the brakes at the same point as on previous laps. I think that he had hit the brakes well before the corner, and I found myself on the outside of him and in front on the entry to the corner. I didn’t want to back off, so I left him with a metre between myself and the kerb in order to go in. I saw that it was tight, so I tried to adjust my position. That was when he touched my back wheel and went down. I repeat that I am unhappy about it, and I want to avoid any controversy regarding penalisation, but I believe that my ride through was a result of all the talk over the past few days. Now I have to focus on Barcelona.”

Hiroshi Aoyama (8th)

”I am fairly satisfied, because I was feeling good on the bike. Despite this, the lap times were slightly slower than we were expecting. I have taken more points in the standings, and I am confident about Barcelona.”

Fausto Gresini

“I believe in the good intentions of our riders. This was a racing incident that could happen at any time, and in which Marco had passed Pedrosa. I think he was not responsible for causing the accident. We are obviously very displeased, above all with the fact that Dani is injured. It wasn’t intentional, and I think that all the controversy beforehand has fanned the flames of an unpleasant situation. Marco really deserved a podium and second place. Unfortunately, for various reasons it didn’t happen, but we will make that our goal for Barcelona. Aoyama did well and continues to pick up points and make progress.”
17-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Website Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

I would go along with that statement,as i feel that that account was what i saw from the camera angle. Any-way,it,s done and dusted now.But are ride through,s really fair when a judgement has to be made in very short time without gathering all the facts.What would have happened if the same incident had taken place in the last 2 or 3 laps,the race would be finished before sentence was passed.I think in race situations where there is obvious doubt ,a time penalty would be the fair way after all considerations were taken into account.
17-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
.....................and these are the reasons I now like MotoGP2 best !
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
17-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Website Find Reply