Guy Martin fuming after Supersport false start
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin fuming after Supersport false start
[Image: thislincolnshire.jpg]

Guy Martin was left incensed at the Isle of Man TT yesterday after the second Monster Energy Supersport race was cancelled one lap old, insisting it should not have gone ahead at all.

The Lincolnshire rider was forced to wait to take to the start line for the fourth time at the TT after the second of two Supersport races on the island was put back an hour, early morning.

Heavy cloud and intermittent showers were responsible and, with them struggling to clear, a further hour delay ensued before Martin, riding for the Relentless Suzuki by TAS team, was called to order.

With conditions still unsettled Martin was seen in a four-way discussion with Honda TT Legends riders John McGuinness and Keith Amor as well as Bruce Anstey before reluctantly setting off.

Martin did not look himself and was placed well down the top 10 before finally getting his wish on the second lap when red flags were deployed as the conditions worsened.

That was not before he suffered a scare of his own however.

"Cameron Donald was close to going off but not as close as me, I actually ran over my leg. You couldn't make it up, you literally couldn't make it up," said Martin, who is expected to return today for the rerun of the second Monster Energy Supersport race at 12.15pm.

"It was a bit of a moment I'll tell you that and I'll be giving the appropriate people a bit of an ear full, we shouldn't have gone out.

"Saying that at the time I went off the line I was going good and not too bad on the first lap but you could see the black clouds and you knew it was coming.

"But there is pressure, pressure from the TV guys and we want to race but first thing is first and that is safety and thankfully no-one got seriously hurt."

Amor, riding for the Louth-based Honda TT Legends team in the Dainese Superbike and PokerStars Senior TT races, unlike Martin did fall off as conditions deteriorated but was deemed uninjured.

Mark Parrett was the only rider to be reported injured following a crash as he damaged his ankle while Broughton rider Gary Johnson missed the carnage, retiring after lap one.

Johnson, who finished the first Supersport race in fourth on Monday, flew out of the traps and was second behind early leader Michael Dunlop at the first checkpoint.

However, he soon became anonymous around the iconic 37.73-mile Mountain Course with his tracking transponder failing to work properly and a further electrical fault forcing him to pull in.

Johnson confirmed he would have been ready had the race been restarted and believes the cancellation would have, and still will, play into his hands.

"We had an electrical fault with the bike which meant we had to retire and that was a shame because this bike has been going great," said Johnson.

"We put a new engine in from the first race and on the first two timings we were right up there with Michael but the weather has done us a favour.

"It has given us a reprieve because we were able to fix the problem and would have been ready if it had been restarted but I think we can go well in the rerun."

09-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Website Find Reply