RAIN SPOILS SPLITLATH’S PARTY AT OULTON
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RAIN SPOILS SPLITLATH’S PARTY AT OULTON
[Image: splitlathhdr.jpg]

SPLITLATH Motorsport riders Karl Harris and Hudson Kennaugh were left disappointed today when rain stopped play at Oulton Park. After downpour which lasted most of the day at the Cheshire circuit, race chiefs had no option but to postpone the second MCE Insurance British Superbike race this afternoon.

While it was a necessary move, it was particularly disappointing for team newcomer Harris, who had been due to line up 11th on the grid after a flying start in the earlier race. Instead, today’s race will be held at the famous Cadwell Park track over the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Harris’ first round with the team got off to a quick start during Friday’s first practice session, but the three-times British Supersport and former European Superstock champion had a couple of crashes on the team’s Aprilia RSV4 superbike before qualifying on Saturday. This meant he had little track time before qualification, and ended up starting in 24th spot.

However, a lightning quick getaway at the green light saw him charge down the inside and making up more than a dozen spots in the opening lap, to cross the line at the start of Lap Two in 11th. Two laps later he was up to ninth and chasing down Loris Baz for eighth.

But disaster struck on Lap Five when he lost the rear and crashed out. “Obviously it’s a shame that I crashed. I just got on the power just a little too early and off she went,” he said. “It was looking good because we were on course to start from the third row which would’ve been good, but the weather stopped it. You can’t argue with the decision, it’s just a little disappointing.

“Overall it’s been a really good weekend. It’s a shame qualifying went the way it did, but because of the crashes earlier it meant we couldn’t show our full potential and get a better grid spot for the race. But I’ve enjoyed the weekend, I just wish we could’ve got out there for race two but it’s just like that sometimes.”

Kennaugh meanwhile was happy to cross the line fifth in the Mirror.co.uk BSB-Evo race – despite stopping his Aprilia at the side of the track to make a quick change to the rear suspension while the pack were under the Safety Car.

After lining up 27th overall and ninth in Evo, he got a good start and was up to sixth in Evo and 19th on the road when the Safety Car came out on Lap Seven.

“I stopped to make the back shock a little softer and I knew I could catch back up – although I did think there was going to be another lap under the Safety Car so I was quite chilled!

“The changes worked, so I was able to catch them up easily. I’d only lost two places so I just pushed to get them back and then got up to fifth. I couldn’t catch the guy ahead so I just settled into it.

“After the crash at Snetterton I just wanted to get back into it with a result and not do anything crazy out there. The conditions were tricky and I had a couple of moments but it was good to get a finish. I’d hoped to get a better result in the second race but it was cancelled. I’m disappointed we didn’t get our race but I’m happy with the decision as far as the safety aspect is concerned.”

Team Manager John Dimbylow added:

“It’s been a good weekend, and it was fantastic to see the Splitlath Motorsport Aprilia superbike running up in the top 10. Karl did a fantastic job to get it on the third row for Race Two, and Hudson has had a good weekend too, with a solid fifth in the race.

“With Karl’s pace on the superbike and Hudson’s on the Evo, there’s every chance we could’ve had two podiums in one race today, so I am disappointed the second race was cancelled. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens at Brands Hatch.

“I’d like to thank everyone in the team for working incredibly hard. They’ve had a lot to deal with and repair, and have done a fantastic job. Also, special thanks to Andy Jameson for all his help this weekend.”
17-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Website Find Reply