BROOKES 2ND BEFORE OULTON BSB CANCELLED
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BROOKES 2ND BEFORE OULTON BSB CANCELLED
[Image: relentless2011hdr.jpg]

Josh Brookes continued his good run of form with a second-successive British Superbike podium with second place earlier today at Oulton Park in race one before the meeting was abandoned due to standing water on the circuit.

The second race is now re-scheduled to run as part of an exciting triple-header at Cadwell Park on August 27- 29. The very same day, the Top-Six Shoot-Out will be decided for the final three rounds of the Championship.

The opening Superbike race was run in wet and tricky conditions and while others faltered, Brookes bravely forced his way through from the third row of the grid, setting numerous fastest laps in the process. Unfortunately the safety car was deployed at half-race distance, unsettling his momentum when already up to fourth place - and possibly looking on course for his debut win for the team.

When the race got back underway on lap 10, Brookes immediately moved up to second place, but then felt it better to air on the side of caution, guaranteeing himself 20 valuable championship points and a couple of podium credits.

Josh Brookes:

"It was not nice out there today, but we're obviously happy with another strong podium. From my grid position I had to take a few risks to get up to where I was when the safety car came out, but I wasn't prepared to gamble again as I'd already had too many moments. I saw Shakey having problems and Hopper obviously went down so I just backed it off and brought the big GSX-R1000 home. The second race being cancelled could play into our favour as I like Cadwell, but you can't count your chickens..."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"It's a good feeling for everyone in the team that we were very competitive all weekend and especially in the wet. But it's also very disappointing to lose out on the second race, which we feel we could have won. It was nice to see Josh coming through like he did and was the fastest rider on track until the pace car came out, which always changes things. He did the right thing though to bring it home when Tommy got the jump on them all, but as I say, we've had a great wet-weather set-up on our GSX-R machinery this past three years and we really were confident of a win in race two.

"It's a bit disappointing also for Alastair Seeley to lose out on the second Supersport race that was cancelled, as he too is very strong in the wet and he deserved a second chance after getting robbed of victory on Saturday. No doubt he will get an extra race this season somewhere on the calendar to make up for it. It was a wise decision to stop the meeting on safety grounds and we've come away with two podiums and no damaged machinery so we can't complain.

"And better still, the weekend ended perfectly when we got the news big Darren Clarke from Northern Ireland won the Open Golf Championship!"

British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, race one result:

1. Tommy Hill (Yamaha)
2.Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +5.492s
3.Michael Rutter (Ducati) +5.669s
4.Shane Byrne (Honda) +5.755s
5.Gary Mason (Kawasaki) +6.789s
6.Michael Laverty (Yamaha) +7.128s
7.Loris Baz (Yamaha) +13.055s
8.James Westmoreland (Yamaha) +18.699s
9.Jon Kirkham (Suzuki) +18.960s
10. Scott Smart (Ducati) +21.619s

British Superbike Championship Points: