World Superbike Brits counting down the days to Silverstone special
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
World Superbike Brits counting down the days to Silverstone special
[Image: silverstonelogo.jpg]

The FIM Superbike World Championship heads to Silverstone next weekend (29 – 31 July) and Britain’s six World Superbike riders are counting down the days to their home race, where they’ll go head to head with some of the best riders in the world, in front of a passionate, partisan crowd.

The Brits put on a fantastic show at Silverstone last year, with all-British podiums and a double-victory for Cal Crutchlow in the two Superbike races. Expectations will be high for a repeat of last year’s success.

With plenty of overtaking guaranteed, Silverstone’s fast and flowing Grand Prix circuit is loved by the riders. Britain’s six World Superbike riders have all been offering their thoughts ahead of their home race:

Eugene Laverty (aged 25; born in Toomebridge, Ireland), who has already powered his way to two race wins this season, heads to Silverstone in fourth place in the championship. Looking ahead to Silverstone, the Yamaha World Superbike Team rider said: “Having two rounds in the UK this season is great as I get another bite at the cherry. I've really been looking forward to Silverstone after I suffered a dreadful home round at the start of the year. Silverstone is one of my favourite circuits on the calendar, following the best victory of my career in the World Supersport category there last season.

“The fast nature of the track really suits my style and there are many passing opportunities if it comes down to a last lap fight. The start/finish line has been moved for 2011, so I'm going to have to rethink my race strategy. Last year I made my race-winning overtake into Abbey on the last lap, but it's now the first corner which changes things quite a bit. I'm looking forward to the new challenge though and I'd love nothing more than to walk away with a victory, or two, at my home round.”

Leon Haslam (aged 28; born in Smalley), who leads BMW Motorrad Motorsports’ assault on the championship, is currently fifth in the rider standings. The S 1000 RR rider said: “I’m really looking forward to Silverstone. The new circuit is really fast and flowing and it’s a great place to race - there are plenty of opportunities for passing. There was some really close racing last year and the Brits did particularly well. I finished on the podium in Race One and will be pushing hard to get back up there again this year. It’s also the first time we’ll be using the new Pit and Paddock complex. It looked amazing at MotoGP. It’s always special to race in front of your home crowd and it would be great to christen the new podium with a top three finish.”

Leon Camier (aged 24; born in Ashford) is sitting three points behind Haslam in the championship standings and the Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team rider will be keen to leapfrog his British compatriot at Silverstone. “I'm really looking forward to getting out there and seeing all the new additions. The Silverstone Wing pit and paddock complex looks awesome”, said Camier.

“Silverstone has always been one of my favourite circuits as it's fast and flowing, and has plenty of overtaking opportunities, which no doubt I'll need with my track record! I've had my fair share of races where I've had to fight my way through the field, probably one of the most memorable being at Silverstone last year. Going from 16th to stand on an all-British podium was something I'll never forget - the crowd was amazing and the support I had was unreal. I'm hoping we'll be able to put on another good show for the fans!”

Tom Sykes (aged 25; born in Huddersfield) secured pole position three rounds ago in Misano, and will be keen to replicate that kind of pace around Silverstone’s high speed circuit. The Kawasaki Racing Team rider said: “I’m really looking forward to riding in front of home support at Silverstone, especially with the new Silverstone Wing pit and paddock complex. I have to admit it will be strange riding over the old start/finish straight and not seeing my pit board hanging over the wall, but from what I have seen the new facilities look brilliant.

“Silverstone has always been a great circuit with a good atmosphere. It’s a track I really enjoy riding. Because it is my home round of the championship I get a little bit nervous leading up to the event, I suppose I just want to produce something special for the fans – hopefully between Kawasaki and the Paul Bird Motorsport Team we can produce a competitive performance.”

“To think about a podium result would be a dream come true for us at the moment. There is no doubt that I’d love to pull something special out of the bag, but we will just have to wait and see what happens on the day.”

James Toseland (aged 30; born in Doncaster), riding for the BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team, has been plagued by injuries this season. However, the double World Champion is looking forward to a return to racing at Silverstone: “Obviously this year has been really difficult for me due to injury, but my plan has always been to return in time for Silverstone. Racing in front of your home fans on a track like Silverstone is an amazing feeling, so for sure I am looking forward to getting out there. I think the circuit’s fast-flowing nature will definitely suit my BMW Motorrad Italia machine and I hope we can do a good job come race day on Sunday. I have been lucky this year to have such loyal support from my fan base back in the UK and they have really helped me through everything. I just hope I can give them something good to shout about. I cannot wait to get out there and really give it everything.”

Alex Lowes (aged 20; born in Lincoln), who looks set to deputise once again for injured Castrol Honda rider Jonathan Rea, said: “It's been quite an amazing year for me and I'm really looking forward to riding the Castrol Honda at Silverstone. It will only be my second outing on the CBR, so I've still got a lot to learn, but the chance to ride with this team on this bike in front of a home crowd is one that I never dreamed would be possible. I know that Jonathan has had some good results at Silverstone so I'll be trying my hardest to give the crowd something to cheer about next weekend.”

Jonathan Rea (aged 24; born in Larne, N. Ireland) will miss out on his home race, as he continues to recover from a broken wrist: “I'm so disappointed not to be racing at Silverstone, especially after going to the opening of the amazing new Wing complex in May. But I just got the pins out of my wrist this week, so I need a few weeks of training and physio before I can ride again. I've got a great support network around me, so I'll be working as hard as I can with the guys to get back as soon as possible. Of course, it's always good to race in front of your home fans and the Silverstone crowd is always very vocal and enthusiastic. At least I'll have the chance to say hello to some of them as I'll be around most of the weekend working with Castrol and Honda.”

In addition to the two World Superbike races on the Sunday (31 July) there are a host of support races to look forward to. While away from the track, fans can look forward to plenty of off-track entertainment.

On Thursday 28 July, there will also be a free autograph session in the Silverstone Wing Paddock. Open to anyone (with or without a ticket for the weekend), members of the public will be able to gain access to the ‘Paddock Show’ from 13:00hrs on the Thursday, providing fans with an opportunity to get up close and personal with their World Superbike heroes.

Advance tickets start from just £20. Paddock and Pit Lane passes also available to purchase in advance. For further information, or to book tickets, visit http://www.silverstone.co.uk or call 0844 3728 260.
21-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Website Find Reply