Second row start for fifth fastest Simoncelli at Laguna Seca
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Second row start for fifth fastest Simoncelli at Laguna Seca
[Image: sancarlohondahdr.jpg]

Marco Simoncelli achieved his objective of improving his lap times and closing the gap to the fastest rider today as he qualified fifth for the Red Bull US Grand Prix.

The Team San Carlo Honda Gresini rider is still hoping to make further improvements in tomorrow's warm-up before taking the podium challenge to the front row trio of Jorge Lorenzo, Casey Stoner and Dani Pedrosa. Hiroshi Aoyama also made improvements as his confidence with t he Honda RC121V showed signs of returning.

Marco Simoncelli:

Overall it has been a positive day. We took our biggest step this morning and then built on that this afternoon, although we still have work to do to close the gap to the top three. Lorenzo is maybe in the best shape at the moment ahead of Stoner and Pedrosa but if we can find a couple of tenths in my race pace we can challenge for the podium. I had more confidence in the front today and held my line better through the corners, as well as improving acceleration out of the final turn. We could still find more time there though.”

Hiroshi Aoyama:

”I have improved my lap times from session to session and also found more confidence with the bike and track. I am quite satisfied with my lap time considering that this is only my second ever day here at Laguna. Tomorrow we will try to take another step and make up positions in the race. Tyre choice will be important, the race will be long but if we can stay consistent we can make up positions.”
24-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Website Find Reply