Simoncelli heads to Indianapolis in high spirits
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Simoncelli heads to Indianapolis in high spirits
[Image: sancarlohondahdr.jpg]

Having finally stepped onto the podium at Brno, Team San Carlo Honda Gresini rider Marco Simoncelli travels across the Atlantic to the legendary Indianapolis circuit with his confidence sky-high this week.

Showing podium potential since the opening race of the season, Simoncelli achieved his elusive first podium in the Czech Republic and now looks forward to riding with a huge weight taken off his shoulders.

The legendary circuit this year marks a hundred years of the “Indy 500” and Simoncelli hopes he can also be celebrating this weekend. The Italian set pole position for the 250cc race in 2008 only for it to be cancelled due to Hurricane Ike, before going on to win the intermediate race in 2009 ahead of his current team-mate Hiroshi Aoyama.

The Japanese rider recovered confidence in himself and in his Honda RC212V at Brno thanks to a ninth place finish. Last year he made his return to action at the Indianapolis GP following six races out through injury, and he is now looking for a complete return to form in 2011 after another injury setback put the brakes on a positive start to his campaign.

Marco Simoncelli:

“A weight was lifted off my shoulders at Brno with my first ever podium in MotoGP and my 30th podium in all categories. It was a huge source of satisfaction because we have been chasing it since the opening race of the season and didn't quite manage it for various reasons. We needed it and I am happy for myself, the team, Honda and everybody who has believed in me. That kind of cloud is no longer hanging over us and hopefully that will make everything easier in the second half of the season. Indianapolis is a circuit I like, although I tend to struggle a little compared to the other smaller riders because of the first gear final corner that leads onto a really long straight. This is a problem for us but we will do our best to work it out and try to ensure it hinders us as little as possible. The team and I are highly motivated and hope to continue in the same way we found in Brno.”

Hiroshi Aoyama:

“Ninth place at Brno wasn't an amazing result but it was positive for me because I recovered my physical condition and my confidence with the bike. After the Czech Republic Grand Prix I am feeling more motivated and determined for the second half of the season. I needed to rediscover my confidence in myself and in the RC212V, and I think Brno was a positive weekend in that respect. Now I go to Indianapolis in a different mood. I finished second here behind Simoncelli in the 250cc race a couple of years ago and returned to action here last year after missing six races through injury. It wasn't an easy weekend for me but I managed to finish the race and I enjoyed the track so I am very much looking forward to a stronger showing this weekend.”
24-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Website Find Reply