Yamaha World Superbike Team Gear up for the Nurburgring
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Yamaha World Superbike Team Gear up for the Nurburgring
[Image: yamaharacinghdr.jpg]

Yamaha World Superbike riders Marco Melandri and Eugene laverty are heading back on track this coming weekend after a long five week summer break. The coming weekend’s racing action will take place at the famous Nurburgring circuit situated amidst the Eifel Mountains in the West of Germany, marking round 10 of the 2011 World Superbike Championship.After the lengthy rest from racing, both Yamaha World Superbike riders are eager to get on board their YZF R1s and take up where they left off, with the success of the last round in Silverstone where Melandri and Laverty claimed an impressive double podium a head and gained valuable championship points.

With just four rounds remaining to fight for the championship title, both riders will be looking to impress and continue to battle for the championship lead. Melandri sets out for the Nurburgring for the first time in his career but he has proved in previous rounds that new tracks are not an issue for him. The Italian will take on the German circuit with the intention of pushing up to second place in the standings ahead of fellow Italian, Max Biaggi. Team-mate Laverty aims to capitalize on progress made at his home track in Silverstone and fight for another extraordinary double podium. The challenging 5.137 km German track has brought him success in the past, just last year he delivered an impressive race win in the WSS category.

The Nurburgring, also known as the “Green Hell”, is considered to be one of the most demanding purpose – built racing tracks in the world. There are many changes in elevation, six left turns, 11 right turns and few opportunities to overtake.

Marco Melandri - Yamaha World Superbike Team

"The Nurburgring is another new track for me this year, but I’m looking forward to experiencing it. I’m glad to be getting going again after the summer holidays and I’m determined to do my best and keep fighting until the end of the championship. I like the look of the track from what I’ve seen on TV. It’s quite technical and I’m sure it will be a lot of fun. The weather forecast doesn’t look so good for Sunday but it changes from day to day so I’m hoping between now and then it’ll improve a little. We’ll soon see."

Eugene Laverty - Yamaha World Superbike Team

"I’ve been off the bike for a long time now and I can’t wait to get riding my R1 again. Nurburgring is a track I quite like and I’ve good memories there following my win in Supersport last year. I’ve just come from a double podium in Silverstone and that’s what I’m aiming for again at the Nurburgring. It’s not out of the question to complete the season in the top three and that’s what I’d like and what I’ll be aiming for, even though it won’t be easy to reach my team-mate."

The Nurburgring, technically speaking according to Silvano Galbusera - Marco Melandri's Crew Chief

"Nurburgring is yet another new track for Marco. It’s technically very difficult, possibly the most difficult track on the 2011 calendar and will prove challenging. We’ll spend the first few sessions getting acquainted with the circuit so we can see where to go with the chassis set up ahead of Sunday’s races. I hope we find a good tyre solution to enable us to perform to our potential. Let’s hope the weather is also good and the rain holds off."

The Nurburgring, technically speaking according to Frankie Carchedi - Eugene Laverty's Crew Chief

"After another solid weekend at Silverstone we have worked hard over the summer break to further improve the bike for Eugene. We will start with one bike similar to Silverstone with a new improved rear brake system. With the other bike we will try another step in the geometry to further improve bike turning. Nurburgring is a riders favorite, many elevation changes and technically difficult. It requires very good front end feel and is as hard on brakes as Monza. There are many changes of direction so it is also important to have a good handling bike and keep corner speed up."

Andrea Dosol i - Yamaha World Superbike Team Manager

"Nurburgring is a very important race for the Yamaha World Superbike team. Following the earlier announced decision for Yamaha Motor Europe to withdraw the team at the end of this season, I’m confident that the team and riders motivation will be evident and everyone will be pushing even harder for deserved results. After such a long summer break we’re looking forward to getting back to business and have made a few technical modifications to the engine, chassis and electronics of the bike, in order to provide both riders with an even more competitive machine to fight for the race win. We expect Eugene to confirm the excellent performance evident in Silverstone, especially due to the fact that he took a race win at the Nurburgring in WSS just last year. It’s Marco’s first time on this track, but we have seen that he can quickly learn new tracks, so we’re not worried and are confident we’ll be fighting for the podium on Sunday."
31-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Website Find Reply