Mason speaks of feisty new model
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Mason speaks of feisty new model
[Image: msskawasakigif.jpg]

Gary Mason and MSS Colchester Kawasaki monumentally became the first team to run to the new 2012 technical regulations at Donington Park today and after the first session he declared he loved the 'feisty new model!"

Team Owner Nick Morgan announced before the event that Mason would run a specially developed Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R for the final three rounds of the championship as the team get a head start over the rival teams before next season. Mason admitted that once he soon got to grips with the new bike it didn't take long to adjust and believes that fans should watch out for some spectacular sideways drifts this weekend.

Mason said:

"At first it feels weird as I have obviously got used to the other bike but to get asked to be the person to test the new 2012 spec MSS Colchester Kawasaki was a really exciting prospect for me and it gives me a head start on next year by seven races. It has been so far so good this morning and we have a few little gremlins that we are working on before the next session but that it always going to be the case with a new bike.

"You go out there and you are riding on the seat of your pants again and I can't remember the last time I rode with no electronic aids and I can tell you it was good fun. There is definitely going to be smoke coming off the rear tyre and a bit of drifting going on and that is going to be awesome to watch! The tyre wear is going to be critical and having these races does give us some time to work on getting the best out of it and it is critical to get the chassis right to get the best from the tyres.

"Testing is good but there is no better way to prepare for next season than by running in the races on tracks where we actually compete. Once we have got everything together I don't think there will be too much difference but for a rider to have 200 horsepower and no electronic aids it is down to you to get the best out of the bike and that's what is exciting. I have never been a rider to really rely on electronics so it doesn't feel like a jump for me, but at the same time I know there will be a lot of people watching me this weekend so I want to do the best we can.

"The first session went well and I like the conditions when they are drying like they were this morning as that doesn't really bother me. I was quickest for a long time before we came back into the garage to tweak a few things and that is when I dropped down the order. I know we could have gone fastest, but it was only the first session so we will see what we can do this afternoon.

"It is nice to be the first rider to start the new era, it is a bit sad to say goodbye to the old girl but this newer model is much more aggressive; she is really feisty and doesn't hold back - and I like that!"

10-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Website Find Reply