Imola front row for Castrol Honda's Rea
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Imola front row for Castrol Honda's Rea
[Image: castrolhondalogo.gif]

Jonathan Rea will start tomorrow’s two eleventh-round World Superbike championship races from the front row of the grid after setting the second fastest time in this afternoon’s Superpole sessions at Imola in Italy.

Rea was pipped to pole position by series leader Carlos Checa, whose time around the 4.936km Imola circuit was just a tenth of a second under that of the Northern Irishman. Noriyuki Haga was third, with Tom Sykes rounding out a four-manufacturer front row.

Having been fastest in yesterday’s qualifying session, Rea was second fastest this morning as he and his Castrol Honda team continue to develop a new ride-by-wire system for their Honda CBR1000RR Fireblades.

The system allows Rea’s data engineers to dial in precise throttle opening electronically, rather than using a physical cable. However, the team is keen to emphasise that the system is still in the early stages of development.

Rea’s Castrol Honda team-mate, Ruben Xaus, is also developing the new electronics package and will start tomorrow’s two 21-lap Imola races from the fifth row of the grid.

Jonathan Rea – P2 1m47.274s

We were nearly there! I made a mistake on my first lap in Superpole three and, although I had another go, I’d used up most of the tyre by then. But it’s SO nice to be back here and, although Superpole is pretty minor compared to the races, we’re in a good position, so I’m really looking forward to them. It’s been a big journey to get here, recovering from injury with the help of medical staff and my family, but the team has also been working so hard with this new system. While I’m really looking forward to racing here at Imola tomorrow, we’ve got one eye on 2012 and I’ve a sneaking suspicion we can be quite competitive then as well.

Ruben Xaus – P20 1m49.595s

Well it’s been another busy day as we work with the new system. It’s obviously working well with Johnny but I’m still having a few problems getting it to work well for me. There is lots of information to work through tonight but we always knew this weekend was going to be a bit of a test for me and the new system. Hopefully, something will be seen in the data tonight that will give us something to try tomorrow.

Ronald ten Kate – team manager

We came here with a mission to use this event to develop the ride-by-wire system and we were all pretty clear that we would sacrifice results to follow that path. As a matter of fact it has turned out beautifully for us. We’ve spent a long time setting it up and we’ve got a result as well! However, we are under no illusions about where we are and how much time we still need on it. The specific layout of the track here and the new tarmac over much of it is suiting the bike very well – there are no bumps and lots of grip, which makes it easier for us. That doesn’t take anything away from the success so far this weekend and, on longer runs, the new technology is also helping Jonathan keep a very consistent pace. For sure, this was not a one-lap wonder and we believe we have a set-up to bang out some fast laps tomorrow, too.

Pole position : 1m48.400s (165.767km/h) Carlos Checa (Ducati)
Circuit record lap : 1m48.877s (163.208km/h) Carlos Checa (Ducati, 2010)
Circuit Best Lap : 1m48.400s (165.767km/h) Carlos Checa (Ducati, 2010)

25-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Website Find Reply