Qualifying for the TT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Qualifying for the TT
I have been told, and pleae correct me if I am wrong, but to Qualify for a start in the Sidecar TT, you must have done essentially a 90MPH+ lap.

This is a bit of a worry for the likes of me. I am just a Clubman racer here in Australia, and I want to have a go at some Real Road Racing. I can really imagine flying all the way to the Isle of Man, leasing a bike, only getting acouple of laps of practice in.....and not Qualifying!!!

My Sidecar racing mentor Gavin Porteous, who one won the best Newcomers award over at the TT in 93 or 94 I think, has told me that he thinks that I'd be fine. His advice was to ride the TT Circuit just as if I was running late for work. Easy for him to say, he is a 4 time Aussie champion and a guru sidecar racer.

I still have my 125cc GP bike and a 250cc classic racer in my garage, I know that I could qualify for the Ultralightweight TT or the classic Manx, as I raced solo bikes at National level Here in Austarlia. I feel that I would not have a problem qualifying on either of these bikes. But to be honest, I very much prefer riding sidecars......they are more of a challenge to me.

So.....after all of that drivel, (sorry),..... Is it true.....Will I have to 90 a 90MPH+ lap to qualify?.... Do they have a qualifying cutoff? Can someone please let me know.

Regards,
John Swensen

04-09-2002, 01:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Qualifying for the TT
John,

The following is the qualifying details for the 2002TT:

Sidecars...........25 minutes, 90.552mph

Newcomers will be granted 90 seconds extra over the stated qualification time. Any newcomer using this extra 90 seconds to qualify will be required to wear their orange jacket throughout the race.

26 minutes 30 seconds is just over 85mph.

04-09-2002, 07:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hope you've invested in an on-bike video, this
would help you to learn the course better before you arrive. Off course it's not the same as the real thing!!
As you're thinking of a long trip over to the island, it'll be worth spending a week before the practise starts to just keep riding/driving around the course to get yourself familiar.
I'm sure you'll make the qualifying time easily!!
I did the Manx GP and made the time easy!
Good Luck!
04-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

But you cheated Gail, surely running a GSXR 1000 in your 125 frame is a little obvious. Or does it just look like that.
Well done on your finish, nice leathers but why the Red Indian on your back. Was it to ward off other riders.
04-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Gails Indian
R but it wasn't Red Indian! But the colours of the
bike and leathers used for the feathers.
See the article titled Gail gears up for Manx
on home page @ <A HREF="http://www.realroadracing.com">www.realroadracing.com</A> and you'll
find the answer in there why I came up with that!
The man himself owns one of my very own sweatshirts also with the Indian chief on it!
04-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

John,

Not wishing to add any pressure but the newcommers qualifying at 85mph is a piece of cake once you know where you are going...ok only done the TT a few times as a passenger but I am confident I could make this time myself as a driver.

After a few laps even a 90mph lap will seem fairly easy.

I have a few videos at home with TT laps on from a passenger platform...e-mail me and I will sort one out for you with pleasure!

If you are going to come to the Island for a look around, give me a shout and I will do a few laps with you and I am sure I can arrange some drivers to come round and give there perspective too.

Anyway let me know...btw is Gavin still racing these days?...last time I remember him being here I recall he shoved his shoulder half way down his pack in a hefty prang at Glen Helen??

Regards & Best wishes.

Fitz.
05-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Gav Porteous (for Fitz
Yep, Gav Porteous returned to racing in 1996, racing with one useless arm. He still managed to win the Aussie sidecar that year. He retired from active racing in 1998 and now races HQ Holden cars I believe. Gav is the man responsible for getting me to change from 125cc GP racing to sidecars, first as a passenger within his own team, and later as a rider in my own team.

12-09-2002, 08:59 AM