BROOKES PODIUMS AS SEELEY CRASHES
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BROOKES PODIUMS AS SEELEY CRASHES
[Image: relentless2011hdr.jpg]

Relentless Suzuki by TAS riders Josh Brookes and Alastair Seeley took today's Superbike and Supersport pole position slots at Brands Hatch in Kent during the final round of the 2011 British Championships but had mixed fortunes.

Brookes went on to record second place and a fastest lap in the first of the weekend's three Superbike races, but Seeley crashed out of the 10-lap Supersport encounter after setting a new Supersport lap record. Both riders will start tomorrow's races from pole position in their respective classes.

Josh Brookes:

"The truth is I'm just not very satisfied with second. I got the fastest lap in the race; the fastest lap for the track in qualifying and qualified on Pole. Fourth and second place are always the worst as they are one place off the podium and one place off the win. I'm really happy with the way our GSX-R1000 Suzuki is working and I will not be changing a thing for tomorrow. The bike has been superb today but I just couldn't outclass Michael in the race and that's disappointing. I was following him lap after lap and I couldn't find a way by, so if the roles are reversed, I think it will be the same for him - so that's what I aim to do tomorrow."

Alastair Seeley:

"The plan was to break him today and just consolidate the lead and that's what I was doing. Unfortunately I just got too much lean angle and caught the engine casing on the kerb and that forced the front to tuck. I was straight up and over to the bike but the clip-on was broken so it was race over. We have had good speed all weekend so we just need to win both races tomorrow and see what that brings. We're not out of it yet."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"It was a perfect start to the day with two pole positions, but we soon found out how cruel racing can be when Alastair clipped a kerb with his engine casing and that forced the crash. What is more disappointing is that he has been so dominant all weekend and no one is within touching distance of his lap times. That counts for nothing if you don't turn it into points but we have proved the strength of the GSX-R600 and also our GSX-R1000 Superbike with fastest laps and records today. Tomorrow is a new day for us and Alastair is well aware of what he needs to do.

"Josh has also been bang-on form this weekend and it's pleasing to see. He looks fast and is feeling very confident and on top of that, our bike is working superbly beneath him. He did all he could today but Michael didn't put a foot wrong in the race. We're happy to be on the podium, but again we will be looking to turn tomorrow's Pole Position into race wins and finish the season on a high."

Results:

British Superbike Race 1 [16 laps]:

1: Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha)
2: Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +0.396s
3: John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +8.766s
4: Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +8.873s
5: James Ellison (Sorrymate.com Honda) +9.007s
6: Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) +11.681s
7: Michael Rutter (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +13.752s
8: Jon Kirkham (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) +13.923s
9: Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +18.452s
10: Martin Jessopp (Rapid Solicitors-Bathams Ducati) +24.763s
Fastest Lap: Josh Brookes 1min: 25.426

British Superbike Championship Standings (after Race 1):

1: John Hopkins (Samsung Crescent Racing Suzuki) 625
2: Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 614
3: Michael Laverty (Swan Yamaha) 590
4: Josh Brookes (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 588
5: Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda) 575
6: Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 521

British Supersport Race 1 [10 laps]:

1: Ben Wilson (Gearlink Kawasaki) 14m 59.162s
2: Sam Warren (Seton Interceptor Tuning Yamaha) +4.001s
3: Billy McConnell (Oxford TAG Triumph) +4.614s
4: Christian Iddon (Oxford TAG Triumph) +4.669s
5: Paul Young (Oxford TAG Triumph) +5.376s
DNF: Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS)
Fastest Lap: Alastair Seeley 1min: 27.950

British Supersport Championship standings (after Race 1):

1: Ben Wilson (Gearlink Kawasaki) 416pts
2: Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 405
3: Billy McConnell (Oxford TAG Triumph) 236
4: Paul Young (Oxford TAG Triumph) 219
5: Sam Warren (Seton Interceptor Tuning Yamaha) 187
09-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Website Find Reply