Yamaha Clinch the 2011 World Supersport Manufacturers title at Portimao
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Yamaha Clinch the 2011 World Supersport Manufacturers title at Portimao
[Image: yamaharacinghdr.jpg]

Yamaha ParkinGO team closed the spectacular 2011 season in perfect fashion today with an extraordinary number of achievements claimed throughout the year. Following a remarkable 12 podium finishes and nine race wins out of the 12 rounds of the 2011 season, Yamaha proudly clinched the 2011 Manufacturer's World title today in Portimao, with a total of 251 points and a 21 point lead.

World Champion Chaz Davies was on true champion form today powering his YZF-R6 to the finish line snatching the chequered flag and adding yet another race win to his numerous achievements. The Welshman immediately took the lead off the grid and continued to dominate the 20 lap race. Team-mate Luca Scassa also put on a strong solid performance, gradually working his way up from eighth place off the grid to cross the line in fourth place.

Chaz Davies was crowned the 2011 World Supersport Champion already in the last round of the championship in Magny Cours two weeks ago, while team- mate Luca Scassa climbed back up the standings to close the season in fifth place on 134 points, missing out on third place by just 12 points. Yamaha ParkinGO team made a sudden change of manufacturer at the beginning of the season, choosing the Yamaha YZF-R6 as the weapon of choice to power the team to complete a stellar season, snatching the 2011 World Supersport Champion title, the 2011 Manufacturer's World title and taking the top position in the 2011 Team classification.

Chaz Davies - Yamaha ParkinGO Team - 1st

"This was the best possible way to end an amazing season. It was a tough race, I had a good start, put my head down but started losing the front and had to work hard to keep pushing. I’m worn out actually but I really enjoyed the race. I had a great package, great bike and the team did a great job and I couldn't ask for anything more. The entire year has been amazing and the title and today is just a dream come true."

Luca Scassa - Yamaha ParkinGO Team - 4th

"It was a difficult last race today. I wanted to do my best and today I did, but the little crash yesterday caused me to start way back in eighth on the grid and it's really difficult to make my way back up especially if you don't do it in the first three corners. I had to pass a few riders ahead but it was tough, I was losing a lot accelerating; I think my weight was making it extra difficult. The team did a great job yesterday to repair the bike so I could get a few laps in in the second qualifying. I did my best and my worst this year, some silly mistakes have cost me a top three finish in the championship. But when one year ends, another begins and I'll hopefully have a better year next year."

Lucio Nicastro - Yamaha ParkinGO Team Manager

It seems like the year started yesterday and it's already over. We made a sudden change to Yamaha just before the beginning of the season, so it was difficult to get adjusted, we had to work extremely hard. The entire team did a fantastic job and we were winning from the very start of the season. Nine victories out of 12 is a spectacular result, three for Luca who had a great start to the year but unfortunately struggled a little mid-way, which is a pity as I'm sure he could have been second in the championship. Chaz was just amazing and ended the season as a true champion, taking his sixth race win this year. Three titles this year; World Champion, Manufacturer's title and top team in the Championship, we couldn't ask for more."

Laurens Klein Koerkamp - Racing Manager, Yamaha Motor Europe

"What an impressive season this has been. Taking the World Supersport Rider's world title with Chaz, Manufacturer's world title, first in the team standings with the Yamaha ParkinGO team and winning 9 out of 12 races. A big thank you to Chaz and Luca, all team and the supporting staff for a fantastic season.

We race to support our brand image and show the strength of our R-series production models and Yamaha couldn't have asked for a better World Supersport season than this.

The Yamaha R6 has dominated this year again, and on top of that Jed Metcher won European Superstock title today also on an R6.

A perfect season."

2011 World Supersport Portugal - Portimão 16/10/2011 20 Laps

race I
1 Chaz Davies Yamaha GBR 35'31.806
2 David Salom Kawasaki ESP 0'01.253
3 James Ellison Honda GBR 0'01.415
4 Luca Scassa Yamaha ITA 0'05.522
5 Florian Marino Honda FRA 0'21.658
6 Roberto Tamburini Yamaha ITA 0'24.490
7 Massimo Roccoli Kawasaki ITA 0'25.506
8 Miguel Praia Honda POR 0'32.271
9 Vladamir Leonov Yamaha RUS 0'32.660
10 Balazs Nemeth Honda HUN 0'32.680
11 Vittorio Iannuzzo Kawasaki ITA 0'34.732
12 Fabien Foret Honda FRA 0'35.109
13 Alexander Lundh Honda SWE 0'51.652
14 Gino Rea Honda GBR 0'54.002
15 Pawel Szkopek Honda POL 0'54.400
17 Luca Marconi Yamaha ITA 0'57.933
19 Gunther Knobloch Yamaha AUT 1'04.473
21 David Linortner Yamaha AUT 1'15.618
24 Eduard Blokhin Yamaha RUS 2'00.000

Rider Standings After Race 12 of 12

1. Chaz Davies Yamaha GBR 206
2. David Salom Kawasaki ESP 156
3. Fabien Foret Honda FRA 148
4. Broc Parkes Kawasaki AUS 136
5. Luca Scassa Yamaha ITA 134
6. Sam Lowes Honda GBR 129
7. James Ellison Honda GBR 99
8. Florian Marino Honda FRA 89
9. Roberto Tamburini Yamaha ITA 80
10. Massimo Roccoli Kawasaki ITA 71
11. Gino Rea Honda GBR 69
12. Robbin Harms Honda DNK 59
13. Miguel Praia Honda POR 51
14. Vittorio Iannuzzo Kawasaki ITA 44
15. Balazs Nemeth Honda HUN 42
16. Alexander Lundh Honda SWE 29
29. Alessio Velini Yamaha ITA 3
30. Luca Marconi Yamaha ITA 3
34. Louis Bulle Yamaha FRA 1

Chaz Davies Moves to World Superbikes With Ducati in 2012

(This post was last modified: 17-10-2011, 10:07 AM by Malcolm.)
17-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Website Find Reply