CONTROL TYRE IS ‘THE WAY FORWARD’
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
CONTROL TYRE IS ‘THE WAY FORWARD’
[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

[Image: mcuilogo.jpg]

The MCUI (Ulster Centre) Tarmac committee intend introducing a Control tyre for all Ulster Centre Short Circuit “Superbike and Clubman” Championship events in 2012 and 2013.

Mark Sanlon, vice chairman of the UC and Convenor of the Tarmac committee, explained this latest proposal.

“We have secured a two-year deal with Pirelli Moto for a control tyre championship. The main objective is to have the tyre prices fixed at a competitive “price” for a full season to the competitors. With the world’s financial situation and inflation increases on all oil products etc around the world, it is important to ensure the competitors’ tyres do not increase in price during next season.

“This may not suit some competitors but this is a deal so that all competitors can afford new competitive rubber to race and not be disadvantaged against others bringing riding along with machine set up skills more to the fore and closer racing. Control tyre championships have a proven record at World and British Championship level with Pirelli and brings closer racing to the events.

“The deal includes supply, fitting of tyres and environmental issues such as the removal of waste rubber from circuits. An official test day will be held in February when all competitors will be able to register for their Championship Classes, get advice on suspension set up and tyre information. The tyres will be supplied and fitted by two current local paddock service providers appointed by Pirelli at £210 + vat per set.

“All machines (road race and circuit) must be sound tested before the 2012 season begins and the readings recorded for comparison checks throughout the year at all events, this will be carried out at this test day.”

Already there are some disgruntled riders who insist that the choice of tyres should be a personal decision.

But Kirk Jamison, the Ulster and Irish Superbike short circuit champion, has given the plans a cautious welcome.

He said: “If these changes are for the greater good of the sport, then let’s go for it. The sport is crying out for greater exposure and this might be the incentive to do just that.

“Some time ago we lost substantial tobacco sponsorship but if a tyre company is prepared to offer practical and financial support then it should be given serious consideration.

“Last season I had a tyre contract with Bridgestone and I would hope to continue with that deal for 2012 but if the Pirelli company comes on board with a substantial prize fund then I may have to reconsider my options. It will be January before the details of the prize fund are announced and until all the facts including race dates are revealed then I will keep an open mind.”

It’s envisaged that there will be a seven round Superbike championship at Kirkistown and Bishopscourt between April and October with at least one event per month.

The Clubman championship will be a six-round series at Bishopscourt, Kirkistown and Nutts Corner, from March to September with at least one round per month.

There is a promotional package included in the deal for Superbike events and a prize fund which should ensure that the Ulster Centre short circuit entry fees will remain as 2011. National race classes under a control tyre championship are: Superbike, Superbike Cup (all 1010cc Clubmen competitors), Supersport, Supertwins, Moto 3 (incorporating 125 GP machines), Supersport 400, 250 GP and Moto 450.

Classes for Clubmen are: Supersport, Pre Injection (incorporating pre 97), 125 production, Moto 3 Newcomers (incorporating 125 GP/moto 450 newcomers) and Production 650 Twins (open to national competitors also).

04-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Website Find Reply