We surprised ourselves: Danny Webb
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
We surprised ourselves: Danny Webb
[Image: mahindralogo.jpg]

When Mahindra entered the MotoGP, the doubting Thomases were out in big numbers. With a strong performance last season, Mahindra did silence cynics. Their drivers are confident that this season will be even better.

Mahindra’s British rider Danny Webb, who was in New Delhi for the Auto Expo to showcase their Moto3 bike, said - “With a new team and a new bike I thought we’ll be in for a difficult season but we’d some good races. We surprised ourselves. Me and Marcel (Schrotter) did a good job last season and we hope to continue with it this season as well. I will be looking for a top-10 finish in the championship.”

The MotoGP season will kick-off on April 8 at Losail with the Qatar Grand Prix.

The 125cc category — in which Mahindra Racing finished third in constructors championship — will be replaced by Moto3. Moto3 has more powerful 250cc four-stroke bikes.

“At the moment we haven’t put the bike on circuit, but going by the feedback it’s all looking pretty good for the new season,” said Webb, who finished 19th in the championship last season. German Schrotter finished 15th.

[Image: dannywebbheadshot.jpg]
Danny Webb

The first dress rehearsal for Mahindra’s new bike will be at the Richardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia, which will host the year’s first test session between February 8 and 10.

Mahindra finished in points in 12 of the 16 races in 2011, but they had no podiums which Webb aims to achieve this year. “Marcel and I will be aiming for podium this season. We both are quick riders and with a good bike at our disposal we will definitely be aiming for that,” Webb said.

The 20-year-old Webb took it as a challenge to join Mahindra, who were novices to the sport dominated by Europeans. “It was a very exciting opportunity for me. To work with a new team was a challenge. It’s nice to see another country learning about the sport and taking interest. The team is getting better and better and I’m sure it will be competing upfront.”

08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Website Find Reply