A multiple Irish champion from Richhill devoted to the promotion of motorcycling
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
A multiple Irish champion from Richhill devoted to the promotion of motorcycling
[Image: portadowntimeslogo.jpg]

One of the most popular figures within Irish motorcycling has recently passed away at the age of 50 following a battle with illness.

[Image: philriddal.jpg]

Richhill’s Philip Riddall lost his fight on New Year’s Day and is survived by wife Christine and children, Lee, Laura and Kyle.

Philip devoted years to racing bikes on the roads and short circuits of Ireland - with a string of honours evidence of his natural talent.

However, his contribution to the sport extended beyond the winner’s podiums he so often occupied following another successful race. A genuine love for the world of bikes led to dedicated membership of groups such as North Armagh Motorcycle and Car Club and Irish Classic Racing Association.

Philip joined the Irish Classic Racing Association during the organisation’s infancy and played his part in reviving the fading class.

As a member of North Armagh Motorcycle and Car Club, Philip helped not only promote the showpiece Tandragee 100 road race but considered the meeting an annual highlight as a rider.

Philip’s first taste of competitive racing arrived in the late 1980s within the 200cc class, making the progression from the Irish Clubman’s Championship to the National programme before outside commitments led to a break in 1993.

He made a welcome return in 1998, competing first on Sam Kincaid’s 750cc Norton before steering a Cecil Cairnduff-owned Westlake to glory.

Silverware arrived for Philip in 2002 and 2004 across the 750cc Irish Short Circuits’ Championship. He also won Irish road race prizes in 2005 and 2007.

Although originally from Carryduff, Richhill held sentimental value for Philip due to so many wonderful years spent visiting his grandparents as a child.

In 1993, he made a permanent move to the Riddall family home and took great pride in such strong roots within the area. An interest in genealogy helped Philip trace the family name back generations and a book documenting the Riddall history was a prized possession.

Philip spent hours on the roads of Ireland as part of his working life as well as for the pure fun of racing thanks to a position at Lavery’s Transport. He also worked for Woolsey Concrete and originally trained as a diesel fitter.

Music was another great love for Philip, with Bob Dylan his favourite artist.

RJ Woolsey spent hours in Philip’s company, travelling and competing at various venues in the Classics.

“I will never forget my early days in racing and the help Philip provided in terms of passing on his knowledge,” said RJ. “I spotted his name in a race programme one day and just knocked on the door as we lived within two miles of each other.

“That started a friendship which means so much to me and Philip’s advice was priceless.

“It was an honour to sing Bob Dylan’s ‘Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright’ at the funeral and I will never forget the happy memories of travelling up and down the country.

“One special moment was in 2007 when we both won Irish titles and stood side-by-side at the Motorcycle Union of Ireland dinner.

“He was an extremely smooth and honest rider but also a true friend.”

Last year at the Tandragee 100, even though he was going through a second round of chemotherapy treatment, Phiip did flag marshall for practice and race days. This served to emphasise his dedication to the sport.

19-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: A multiple Irish champion from Richhill devoted to the promotion of motorcycling
Another true gentleman gone. RIP Philip
19-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Find Reply