Gary Ryan pulls plug on Dunlop team
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Gary Ryan pulls plug on Dunlop team
[Image: mickydunlophdr.jpg]

Lusk businessman and road race enthusiast Gary Ryan has been ever-present in Michael Dunlop’s corner since he first forged a partnership with the two-time Isle of Man TT winner in 2008.

During that time Dunlop has achieved incredible success, the pinnacle of which was his debut race victory in the Supersport class at the Isle of Man TT in 2009 and his second triumph last June in the Superstock race, when he beat Mountain master John McGuinness and works Suzuki rider Guy Martin.

Under the Street Sweep Racing banner, which had chief financial backer Ryan at the helm, Dunlop stole the show at the Ulster Grand Prix in August with a sublime hat-trick in the Supersport and Superstock races and won the feature race at the Southern 100 last year.

The Ballymoney rider has racked up countless Irish national road race wins and claimed multiple championship crowns in his four-year association with Ryan, but the formidable double-act that revelled in taking on the factory-supported teams with their privately funded outfit has pulled the curtain down on their fruitful association - at least for the foreseeable future.

While Dunlop chose to keep his silence over the split, Ryan is refusing to rule out the possibility of revisiting their involvement together “down the line”.

[Image: mickydcelebration.jpg]
Michael Dunlop celebrates winning his maiden race at the Isle of Man TT in 2009
with sponsors Gary Ryan (left) and Martin Marlow

Unquestionably one of the most exciting young prospects to emerge at the TT in recent years, Dunlop is now being linked with the Cookstown-based McAdoo Racing team, while News Letter Sport understands there is also interest in the Ulster star from Yamaha.

But whatever route Dunlop chooses this year, 33-year-old Ryan is adamant more success will follow.

“I won’t be doing anything with Michael this season, but it doesn’t mean we won’t do anything in the future,” he said.

“We’re still mates as far as I’m concerned and if I’m at the racing I’ll be going in to have a cup of coffee with him.

“It’s been great and we’ve had great success and Michael will probably go on and win 30 more TTs hopefully.

“I’ll maybe help a couple of kids along the way this year but it won’t be anything significant.”

Ryan refused to be drawn specifically on why he has pulled his support of the Street Sweep Racing team, saying he was wary of the situation “being blown out of proportion.”

“I’d rather not say why - I don’t think it’s anything the public needs to know about,” he said.

“I’m not prepared to comment too much on it because I don’t want anything to be blown out of proportion. I still want to see the young lad going on and winning 30 TTs.

“I never set out to have Michael riding for me forever - I wanted to get him to a level where he could ride for TAS or Honda Britain and that would be job done as far as I was concerned.

“I think what we’ve achieved is great and I wouldn’t say any other privateer team has done what we’ve done.”

Dunlop said he had no comment to make when contacted by the News Letter.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 13-02-2012, 04:53 PM by Malcolm.)
13-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Website Find Reply
bigklar Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 5
RE: Gary Ryan pulls plug on Dunlop team
still think michael will go to mcadoo
they have a fantastic team there
13-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Find Reply