John McGuinness Confirmed to Race in 2012 SES TT Zero for Mugen
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
John McGuinness Confirmed to Race in 2012 SES TT Zero for Mugen
[Image: ttzerologo.gif]

17-time champion to line up in electric bike race at 2012 TT Races

Seventeen time TT Races winner John McGuinness has been confirmed to ride the Mugen EV motorcycle that Team Mugen will race at this year’s Isle of Man TT.

M-Tec Company Ltd President Mr Shin Nagaosa publicly unveiled the electric bike at the Suzuka racetrack in Japan at the weekend.

The motorcycle on which McGuinness will make his debut in the zero-emission SES TT Zero Challenge race is an all-new ground-up design from MUGEN that features a carbon fibre frame and swingarm. The bike has been designed specifically to tackle the island’s iconic 37¾-mile mountain course.

The bike, which has been christened “SHINDEN” which means electricity of God, will be one of the early favourites to become the first electric bike to average a 100+mph lap of the course and with John McGuinness, who holds the outright lap record of 131.578mph set in 2009 on a Honda Fireblade, the team has every advantage.

[Image: mugenlogo.jpg]

John McGuinness is clearly looking forward to the challenge of racing this new technology and commented;

“I’ve not had a chance to test the bike yet. My first look at it will be in a few weeks but the pictures look great. I’ve followed the electric bike race for the last couple of years and I was keen to take part if the bike was right. There are a few other good machines in the line up so I think there’s going to be a bit of competition this year, particularly with the chance to make history with the first 100mph lap.”

John Shimmin, MHK, Minister, Isle of Man Government’s Department of Economic Development commented:

“Having the Mugen team enter the race is a real boost to the SES TT Zero and the Isle of Man’s clean tech credentials. We are really pleased that the team has chosen the Isle of Man for the bike’s first competitive outing and having John McGuinness competing in the event will generate even more interest in the race.”

[Image: mugenelecbike.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM by Malcolm.)
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Website Find Reply