MSS Bathams Kawasaki go green: Team begin Spanish test
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
MSS Bathams Kawasaki go green: Team begin Spanish test
[Image: msskawasakigif.jpg]

As the build up continues to the opening round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship MSS Bathams Kawasaki have become the latest team to begin their pre-season testing campaign today (Monday) at Alcarras in Spain.

Michael Rutter and Peter Hickman returned to the track for their first outing on the MSS Bathams Kawasakis as the pair began their initial shakedown. Rutter switched between his Superbike and the team's road race bike whilst Hickman adjusted to the new Kawasaki and is preparing to start making changes now that he has a feel for the bike after the opening sessions.

Hickman said:

"It has been a really good start to the test and it has been a cracking day for me. It was my first ride on the new Kawasaki and on a new track so I was like a kid at Christmas! We didn't make any real changes today as all I wanted to do was get back up to speed and learn the bike so I had a feel for it before we started making adjustments. I don't think we are too far off the times that WFR are doing already so tomorrow we can start heading in some different directions to see what changes could benefit us. All in all I am feeling happy and I think tomorrow we can really crack on."

Rutter said:

"Well day one and I have been back out on circuit and it has been a mixed day for me really as I have been riding the two different Kawasakis. I did some laps to get up to speed so tomorrow we can hopefully work through some new parts."

[Image: rutterandhickman.jpg]

MSS Bathams Kawasaki Team Manager Nick Morgan commented

"It's great to get out testing in Spain and all the better to get three intensive days on circuit. Our Superbike riders are experienced enough to give us good feedback on new components but the good news is we aren't starting from scratch as the bike had been run in this 2012 engine spec in some BSB rounds last year, so we know the base parameters. We'll be working on understanding the one-spec Motec ECU that will affect tyre life with no traction control. Finally, a big thank you to Bathams Brewery, who have stepped up to become title sponsors of the team. Obviously we're still based out of Colchester Kawasaki which is now owned by Motorcycles Direct and I think we'll always be associated with the city."

Meanwhile WFR Honda moved to Alcarras to join them on track after their initial three days at Cartagena last week. The trio, like their Kawasaki rivals, spent their first sessions on track learning the new circuit before working through changes to the air bleed system and clutch settings.

Lowes said:

"Today was good and this track is mega; it has some really good sections. We had a few small issues early in the day so we didn't get in as many laps as I would have liked but I am happy with the work we have done today. I am just looking forward to getting back out tomorrow."

Westmoreland said:

"It wasn't a bad day for us; the track was cold this morning so we really just learnt the track as it is new to all of us in the first sessions. I just worked on the general set up of the WFR Honda today and I think we can make some really good progress over the next few days."

Gowland said:

"On to another track and it has been a good day. I have been learning the new circuit today as we haven't been here before. We have made some progress by testing some different clutch settings and hopefully tomorrow we can pick up where we left off."

06-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Website Find Reply