Season opener at the corner
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Season opener at the corner
[Image: midantrimclublogo.jpg]

The Mid Antrim Club will officially raise the curtain on the Irish short circuit season tomorrow at Nutts Corner.

Entries will still be accepted for the non-championship Open meeting at the circuit tomorrow morning.

Around 60 entries have been received so far and the line-up includes Denver Robb, Richard Rea, Gareth Keys and Paul Cranston.

A full quota of classes will be catered for including Sidecars.

Practice is scheduled for 10am, with the first race due to get under way at 1pm.

Further information for competitors can be obtained by contacting race secretary Deborah Doyle on 07828226102.

Reigning multiple Irish short circuit champion and Adelaide Masters winner, Kirk Jamison – who will skip the race at Nutts Corner – will begin testing for the 2012 campaign at Kirkistown in Co Down next week.

Jamison will put the Jim Angus Contracts BMW Superstock machine through its paces and also plans to have a run on the KMR Kawasaki Supertwin he will ride for Ryan Farquhar at the North West 200 in May.

“I decided to give the meeting at Nutts Corner a miss because it doesn’t take any championship rounds, but I’ll be out testing at Kirkistown next week,” Jamison said.

“The main focus will be on the Jim Angus Contracts BMW but I might have a chance to ride Ryan Farquhar’s Supertwin to get a feel for the bike before the North West 200.

“After that I’m planning on heading back to Croft this year to try and win the Ken Redfern Trophy for the third time,”
added Jamison.

“I missed the event last year but it falls on a better date this time, so it would be nice to go and try and win the trophy again and I always enjoy the event.”

Jamison plus Farquhar, Jamie Hamilton and Jeremy McWilliams will all ride in the Dungannon star’s KMR Kawasaki colours in the Supertwin class at the North West 200 on the Thursday of race week, May 17.

Meanwhile, a fundraising evening will be held tonight in the Seagoe Hotel in Portadown to raise funds for a permanent tribute to road racing heroes Brian Reid, Ray McCullough, Trevor Steele and Ian McGregor.

The event, scheduled for 8pm, includes an auction, raffle and light supper with entertainment provided by Karisma.

A number of leading road racers are expected to attend. Admission is £10 (payable at the door.)

NEWTOWNSTEWART and District Motor Cycle Club is holding a St Patrick’s Day ride-out in memory of former leading road racer Adrian McFarland, who was tragically killed during a race in the Czech Republic last September.

Mr McFarland, from Newtownstewart, had been a member of the club since its inception in 2002.

Riders intending to take part in the event are asked to assemble at 10am tomorrow morning at the Rendezvous Bar, Main Street, Newtownstewart, for an 11am departure.

A pilgrimage will be made to Adrian’s final resting place and the route afterwards takes in Plumbridge, Claudy, Limavady, Coleraine, Portstewart, Portrush and Bushmills before stopping for food and refreshments at Joey’s Bar in Ballymoney.

The entry fee is £5 per bike and all proceeds will go towards the Injured Riders Fund.

For more information, or to register to take part, contact club chairperson Richard McFarland on: 07739504685.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

16-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Website Find Reply