The Norton-4
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Norton-4
I have been reading an American book which relates the story of Brit Tony Vandervel
who apparently developed a watercooled Manx Norton engine. This,in tests,proved to produce more power than the standard Manx engine so it formed the basis of a Four cylinder Manx Norton engine which was developed as a Racing car engine....

Have any buffs out there any information on this as it is news to me but of great interest.

Where is the watercoled single now and is the racing car in a museum anywhere in the UK ??

Please help
17-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The Norton-4
Ian,

I have never heard of a four cylinder Norton but when you suggest racing car would it be in any way connected to the famous'500' racing cars many of which were Norton Single powered, just a suggestion which may aid your research.

Best regards,

Big D.
17-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nay lad, but thanks for coming back so quickly--

The Vanwall Norton-4 was a development racing car of 2 litres which was in fact four Norton barrells and innards grafted on to one crankcase--I am searching all the Yahoos and Googles but only the "Nemesis" comes up at present--

It was a fact, this grafted-4 so we'll persevere--

Amulree can you help ??

The article is from "Cycle World" (USA)
17-11-2002, 06:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian,

Tony Vandervell never built a water-cooled Manx Norton engine.

It's a bit more complicated than that . . . .

More follows.
18-11-2002, 01:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian on speaking to my father about this he started to go into a big story about it! He says exactly what you said about the top ends being used and also said this guy also Pioneered some special (White Metal main shells??)
Dont know what he meant by that but i will find out more. Regards John Leech
18-11-2002, 02:32 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's a Vanwall on display at Donington and possibly at Beaulieu.
18-11-2002, 08:26 PM