Title Contenders Set For Opening Round Of The Motorpoint British Supersport Champions
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Title Contenders Set For Opening Round Of The Motorpoint British Supersport Champions
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

This weekend the Motorpoint British Supersport Championship protected by Datatag kicks off at Brands Hatch as the leading contenders prepare to challenge for the opening two race wins of the season at the Kent circuit.

Gearlink Kawasaki’s Ben Wilson missed out on the title by a single point in last year’s intense championship tussle and returning with the team for this season he is determined to make amends in a bid to secure a maiden title.

Wilson said: “I think there will be a big target on my back this year, but to be honest I don’t mind that as I am ready for the fight again. I don’t really know who to expect to be the main competition but we will have a better idea when we are sat on the grid at Brands Hatch this weekend. This season is the same as last year; to be honest we should have won the championship in 2011. I missed out last year because of one mistake and now I want to change that for myself, the team and everyone at Kawasaki.”

Wilson will face fierce opposition in his quest for the title from international contenders including Australia’s Billy McConnell and Glen Richards, riding the Smiths (Gloucester) Racing Triumph alongside team-mate Luke Mossey. Oxford TAG Triumph will want to stay ahead of their rivals though and with Metzeler National Superstock 1000 champion Richard Cooper joining Christian Iddon the team are targeting podium success at Brands Hatch.

The Mar-Train Yamaha debut in the Motorpoint British Supersport Championship this season and Jack Kennedy will be aiming to kick his season off with podium finishes after missing part of last year through injury after a strong start to the opening rounds. Taylor Mackenzie, son of former BSB champion Niall, makes his debut in the championship alongside Kennedy.

Jimmy Hill will be targeting a strong start at his home round on the Vancraft Triumph whilst former Metzeler National Superstock 600 Championship contender Glenn Irwin makes the step up to the Supersport class with the Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 Yamaha team and is keen to impress in the first races of the season.

05-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Website Find Reply