BROOKES AND TYCO SUZUKI WIN AT THRUXTON
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
BROOKES AND TYCO SUZUKI WIN AT THRUXTON
[Image: tycotashdr1.jpg]

Tyco Suzuki's Josh Brookes put in an amazing 'from-the-back' victory in the second race at today's British Superbike Championship second round at Thruxton in Hampshire.

The Australian - who also put in a similar hard-charge from a sixth-placed, second-row start in race one to finish on the podium - put the TAS Racing GSX-R1000 Suzuki into second place in the Championship from 10th after last weekend's opening race at Brands Hatch.

Brookes, who was in 13th place on the opening lap, charged through the field and took the lead just minutes from the end of the second 20-lap race.

Team mate Alastair Seeley, who held second place in the Championship table coming to Thruxton, had a tough day finding the sweet spot with his dry set-up and posted uncharacteristic finishes of 15th and 21st.

Manxman Conor Cummins enjoyed his second consecutive weekend racing in British Championship, and although he was also struggling to find the perfect set-up for the ultra-fast Thruxton circuit, he scored National Superstock points in 12th place. Guy Martin made his Tyco Suzuki debut in preparation for the upcoming international road races, but retired in the early stages of the same race.

Josh Brookes:

"I knew at the start of the first race I had slight clutch slip, but in a strange way it also helped me preserve my tyre, which came into its own in the closing stages. I'm not as close to the front as I'd like to be for the second race but I know we have the pace as we've been up there all weekend with our times. It's just a matter of getting a decent start and getting in amongst them.

"Race two was a satisfying win. I knew from race one I could do it, but I also knew after race one I needed a good start. I messed the start up and thought immediately, 'this is going to be tough' especially after one lap as I could see the leaders were so far away. The team did a great job for me today and I had so much confidence in the new GSX-R that I could pass almost anywhere. Once I had a clear track I set out to make smooth fast laps with not a single mistake, because that was my only chance to catch the leaders. Once I caught them... I knew I'd win."

Alastair Seeley:

"It's been a character-building weekend to say the least. In the wet we have already proven how fast and competitive our package is, but I struggled to replicate that in the dry and I'm very disappointed what we achieved today. I'll take a day or two to reflect then it's re-load and go again at Oulton."

Philip Neill - Team Manager:

"After a great start to the Championship last week with Alastair, it's especially satisfying to have a 100 per cent podium record and also to hold second place in the Championship at this point. Josh was obviously at his very best today and we all know how good he is when he's in that kind of form. However, I must say I do believe that second race was the best I've ever seen him ride.

"I'd like to give a special mention to Josh's crew today as together with Josh and the K-Tech Suspension engineers they have worked superbly all weekend. They stayed fully focused, concentrating on achieving the best possible race set-up and it paid off. Obviously there is a long way to go in the Championship, but hopefully we have given our new title sponsor Tyco and of course Suzuki the best possible start.

"Alastair struggled this weekend in dry conditions but was at his brilliant best in the wet. Unfortunately at Thruxton if you are a bit off with set-up it is hugely magnified. It just wasn't his weekend but I'm confident he'll be back stronger at the upcoming rounds."

Race one result:

1 Ian Lowry (Padgetts Honda)
2. Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +2.794s
3. Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +13.136s
4. Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +13.566s
5. Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +14.435s
6. Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) +18.433s
7. Jon Kirkham (Samsung Honda) +18.473s
8. Luca Scassa (Padgetts Honda) +19.867s
9. James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +24.609s
10. Graeme Gowland (WFR Honda) +26.896s
15. Alastair Seeley (Tyco Suzuki)