Five viewing stands for this year’s TT festival
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Five viewing stands for this year’s TT festival

A new race, a new venue for the launch and new spectating points around the course
marked the start of this year’s TT races.

As the Manx Independent reported last week, TT stars helped to launch the 2012 festival at Milntown.

Among the details to be revealed was the fact that around the course, grandstands are to be erected at five new viewing spots at Ballacrye, Rhencullen, Crosby, Ginger Hall and Creg-ny-Baa.

Fresh from a nocturnal drive back from the Bol d’Or via EuroDisney and his 40th birthday celebrations on Monday, 17-times winner John McGuinness was upbeat.

Again riding the Honda TT Legends Superbike and Pagett’s supersport and superstock machines, he will also be riding one of the electric bikes for the team Mugen.

‘I’ve had most success on the big bikes. I’ve been racing here 16 years, but I’ve not won a superstock title yet so I’d like to do that,’ he said.

Going one better than McGuinness, Leicestershire rider Michael Rutter was celebrating his 40th birthday that day. As well as riding Kawasakis for Bathams, he is riding one of the electric bikes sponsored by Segway. ‘I was really shocked,’ he said, employing slightly unfortunate terminology.

‘John McGuinness was taking the mickey out of me last year, but the power was incredible: it was like a really good 600 with so much drive. No engine noise, but the wind noise was horrific. Completely different and so fast. John was watching last year and I think it has inspired him.’

Completing the trio, Ian Lougher was there for the launch of his 28th TT.

‘I think it’s 115 starts at the TT...or is it 114? I can’t remember – but the first was in 1984 and I’ve been coming every year since. I still look forward to it,’ he said.

Teamed up this year with Tyco Suzuki alongside team mate Guy Martin, Manx star Conor Cummins has put the trials and tribulations of 2010 behind him.

‘Last year was a rebuild year. I’ve got the mileage under my belt now and I’m full of self-confidence.

‘The outings in the British championship have done wonders – it’s all about getting track time and bashing fairings with people. Come the North West 200 [just before the TT] I should be well in the groove and I’m well happy with Tyco Suzuki,’
he said.

Fans’ favourite and reluctant TV star Guy Martin advanced holding a book entitled ‘Mind Management’.

‘When is the win going to come?...yes it’s the question everyone is asking,’ he said.

‘It’ll come when it comes and no sooner. I had four podiums last year so it’s got to be knocking on the door.

‘The TV series has made a big difference – more so than the film – because it’s not just people who watch the bikes now.’

Commenting on team mate Conor, and possibly saving his best line until last, he added: ‘Conor – he’s a legend. After what he’s been through it’s the greatest comeback since Easter!’

[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]

(This post was last modified: 24-04-2012, 07:49 PM by Malcolm.)
24-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Website Find Reply