Farquhar to the four at Cookstown
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Farquhar to the four at Cookstown
[Image: cookstown100hdr.jpg]

Ryan Farquhar maintained his incredible record at the KDM Hire Cookstown 100 road races on Saturday, were he cemented his status as the event’s most successful rider ever with four more victories on the Orritor circuit.

However, the KMR Kawasaki rider had to play second fiddle to Tyco TAS Suzuki’s Guy Martin in the Open race and was being chased hard by the Lincolnshire star in the feature Cookstown 100 showdown before a costly mistake robbed Martin of any chance of a Superbike double.

Farquhar added wins in the Supersport 600, Supertwin 650 and Moto450 races at the Co Tyrone meeting, which officially signals the beginning of the Irish National road racing season.

The feature Cookstown 100 race saw a determined Farquhar make his customary flying start as he hit the front on his ZX-10R Superstock machine.

As Farquhar opened a slight advantage, Martin set off in pursuit and appeared to be reeling in the Dungannon ace until he outbraked himself at the end of the long start/finish straight.

This left Farquhar clear of the chasing pack and he had four seconds in hand over Michael Dunlop at the flag, with Adrian Archibald completing the podium places on his AMA Kawasaki ahead of Michael Pearson (Honda) and Martin, who regrouped to finish fifth and had the consolation of the fastest lap at 90.363mph - a whisker outside his 2011 lap record.

Burrows was sixth ahead of William Dunlop, who opted to ride his Supersport machine.

[Image: ryanfarquharcookstown2012.jpg]
Picture, courtesy of http://www.cookstown100.com

Farquhar told News Letter Sport: “I was leaving my braking so late that I knew there was no chance of anyone passing me into the first corner.

“I had a really good braking marker and I knew Guy wouldn’t get past me there. Sure enough I saw his shadow coming but at the speed he came past me I knew he wouldn’t get stopped and he overshot.

“It was a great day for me and for all the team and I would say that win in the big race was one of my best ever National road race victories.”

William Dunlop, who started from pole position in the Superbike and Supersport classes, was a double winner in the 125cc and 250cc races, but was unable to translate his pace in Friday’s qualifying into success in the feature events.

Martin had earlier won the Open race by over three seconds from Farquhar, with Michael Dunlop on the Hunts Motorcycles/McAdoo Honda Fireblade completing the rostrum positions.

“It could have been better but a win’s a win and we weren’t a million miles away with where we needed to be,” said Martin.

“The big Suzuki is right there on the ball and only for a little mistake we could have given the Tyco Suzuki boys a double today – I’m disappointed at that.”

William Dunlop, Archibald and John Burrows were the top six.

Farquhar won the Supersport 600 race from William and Michael Dunlop. The race was stopped on lap five due to a red flag incident and the result was taken based on positions at the end of four laps.

Farquhar won the Moto450 race, setting a new lap record at 79.219mph and also stood on the top step in the Supertwin race, beating team-mate Jamie Hamilton.

The National road racing season continues with the Tandragee 100 in Co Armagh on Saturday, May 5.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 30-04-2012, 02:39 PM by Malcolm.)
30-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Website Find Reply