Laverty upbeat on Monza chances
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Laverty upbeat on Monza chances
[Image: wsbkenilogo2012.jpg]

Northern Ireland’s Eugene Laverty has set his sights on challenging for victory again at Monza in Italy, where the Toomebridge star notched a memorable double in the World Superbike Championship in 2011.

The factory Aprilia rider upstaged Italian hero Max Biaggi - now his team-mate in the Aprilia outfit - as he produced a sublime performance to dominate at the historic circuit last season.

Laverty was riding for Yamaha when he managed the feat, but the consistently fast speed-trap times recorded by his RSV4 machine could see him poised to mount a strong challenge for his first victory this season.

After a testing beginning to his 2012 championship quest, when Laverty sustained a hand injury at Phillip Island in Australia, the former World Supersport runner-up is now beginning to make strides with the Aprilia.

At Assen in the Netherlands last weekend, he shared the podium with race winner and fellow countryman Jonathan Rea after finishing in third position.

Laverty said:

“I was happy with my debut podium on the Aprilia at Assen following a tough start to the season. The team were very supportive and never lost faith in my ability so it was nice to reward them with a podium finish.

“I’m really looking forward to Monza as the Aprilia is very fast in a straight line.

“I had a double victory at the circuit last year so I’d love nothing more than to do the same again this time around.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Website Find Reply