Irwin Wins For CN Racing On Debut
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Irwin Wins For CN Racing On Debut
[Image: cnracinglogo.jpg]

New team recruit Glenn Irwin gave the CN Racing team plenty to cheer about over the Bank Holiday weekend with two superb victories in the Motorpoint British Supersport Cup.

Contesting the two races at the Oulton Park circuit aboard his MET Healthcare and Megastore 247-sponsored Yamaha, the Northern Ireland rider finished tenth in both races but, more importantly, was the first Cup rider past the chequered flag on each occasion thus extending his lead in that championship.

Having linked up with the Hebden Bridge-based team after riding for them in the latter half of 2011, Irwin was on the pace throughout and not only was he consistently in the top ten, he was also hassling the main championship riders and the two tenth places were just rewards for some determined riding. Tenth overall in the main championship, the Carrickfergus youngster now leads the Cup competition by 12.5pts

In contrast, Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship contenders Gavin Hunt and Josh Day had disappointing weekends with Hunt failing to finish and Day failing to qualify. Manxman Hunt was looking to build upon his ninth place at Thruxton and 18th place in qualifying indicated more points were certainly on the cards. However, his race was over almost before it had begun when he was knocked off by another rider on just the second lap.

Third member of the team Day certainly had a weekend to forget after suffering a number of technical issues during qualifying, which kept him down in 50th place, and the Cirencester rider failed to take the line for the last chance Shoot-Out race.

Glenn Irwin:

"It's been a great weekend for me although it hasn't been without problem with a number of electrical problems plaguing me. It was always an intermittent problem but it meant the bike was dropping on to three cylinders and when it happened again in the second race I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the finish. Luckily it did, so to come away with two Cup wins and two top ten finishes overall is superb. I rode the wheels off the bike all weekend so a big thanks to the team and all the sponsors for keeping me out on the grid and let's hope these results continue as the season really couldn't be going any better."

Gavin Hunt:

"I had a few, niggling little issues during the weekend but nothing major and I was happy with the set-up we found during qualifying and felt good for the race. It was over before I could even get going though and after a so-so start, Leon Hunt came up the inside of me at the beginning of the second lap and took my wheel away. It was just one of those things and a racing incident though so we'll put it behind us and get ready for the next round at Donington. We've two races there so I'll get stuck in and look to score some good points again."

Julia Taylor:

"We're delighted to have Glenn back in the team with us and it couldn't have started any better with a great set of results. He rode absolutely brilliantly throughout and we're all over the moon with the outcome. It was a lot tougher for the two Superstock lads and it was a real shame that Gavin got knocked off as we were very happy with his riding. Points were definitely a possibility but that's racing and he'll bounce back stronger. Josh had problems with his bike all weekend though and didn't manage to qualify so we'll hope for better fortune next time out and look to get him back up the order and fighting it out for a good race result."

08-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Website Find Reply