The Road Racers
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Road Racers
Ok, I know that this is hardly news but...
I treated myself to the Duke DVD of "Road Racers and V four Victory"
It arrived in the post yesterday and I sat down and watched it with my partner Pamela.
If you haven't seen it, or not for years, get hold of a copy.
I was rivetted and there were some tears.
Yes, it's dated, but one of the best films about road racing that I have seen.
Worth seeing if only for the early Joey stuff.
The faces and helmet colours that appear briefly are very evocative. Geoff Barry, Ken Redfern, etc. etc. Here's a tester for you... which rider had a ying yang symbol on his racing helmet?
I can recommend this film as a "must see."
Mike Vickers
(MV)

19-12-2002, 10:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The Road Racers
Dorothy Whitehouse's runner Ian Richards.

One of the very best!!
19-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are now in for trouble as you will not be able to stop watching it, bought it myself when it first came out and was immediately smitten watch it regularly, it is typical of all that is good in 'Road Racing'. IT IS A CLASSIC and sadly the main participants are no longer with us.
19-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have it and I watch it via my son's Playstation,
This is the real stuff of roadracing. These are real people with real life problems and real passion. Not commercial in any way, they test the machines on public roads to the adoring gaze of the kids in the town.They struggle with injuries and everyday family problems like you and I; but come race-day they are champions. I knew such people in the 60s and 70s in Australia - raw talent, no money, and ordinary decent blokes. Anyone who hasn't got this DVD or video is a the poorer.
21-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

22-12-2002, 01:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can remember The Road Racers being on telly over here in England donkeys years ago. Brilliant.
22-12-2002, 11:00 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to be different I was the first person outside the studio to show The Road Racers on a 16mm movie projector. The boys Joey & company were given the film to show over a week around various venues in N. Ireland. Many a person sitting on the outside of a row of seats was pushed over as 'would be' spectator racers banked over with the machines.

I have heard criticism expressed that the film is dated b******s; it is a very honest film with very little 'arty-farty' nonsense.

Here's to the next time someone can produce such a film.

Big D.
22-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe that Joey didnt like the film atall and refused to have anything to do with it.
22-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never heard that, but then he didn't like any kind of fuss or "fame".
My favourite memory of him is, Jim, Joe and some others arriving at Knockhill the morning after their sister married Mervyn. They were still in the wedding suits, but even more startling...their faces were clean and their hair was cut...somewhere I have the pics.
How we laughed..heehee... and they could see the joke
23-12-2002, 12:45 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian Richards! yes, well done.
One of the, shall we sya, lower profile riders.
But still a great.
Funny how the "ying yang stick in the mind
23-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joey also arrived at a Southern 100 straight after another wedding, complete with white shirt; that shirt was well off-white by the end of the meeting!
04-01-2003, 03:25 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: The Road Racers (Fav. part)
My best part was when Mervin arrived on his bicycle to borrow a set of Franks leathers off his aul Ma!
The superstars in them days!
04-01-2003, 04:36 PM