Jubilant Craig Eyes the TT
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Jubilant Craig Eyes the TT
[Image: wilsoncraighdr.jpg]

Wilson Craig will travel to the Isle of Man TT with a spring in his step after William Dunlop provided the Co Londonderry team owner with his maiden international success at the Relentless North West 200 on Saturday.

Dunlop defeated reigning British Supersport champion Alastair Seeley (Tyco Suzuki) on his CBR600RR Honda to deny the Carrick rider any chance of a record-equalling five-timer in the first Supersport race.

It was the first major victory for the Wilson Craig Honda team on the international stage and Craig is hopeful more success will follow at the TT, where practice gets under way on the Mountain Course on Saturday evening.

“I knew William could do it on Saturday and we had the best bike out there,” Craig told News Letter Sport yesterday.

“There is no doubting the speed of our bikes – everyone could see how strong they were.

“Not only did I think we had the best bikes on the grid, I think we have the best riders as well,”
he added.

“William deserved his victory in the first Supersport race, but I was unhappy with what happened in the second 600 race when [Alastair] Seeley put that move on him at Church Corner.

“It was a disgrace and I don’t intend to let the matter drop. I thought it was a poor move and I am just glad that William wasn’t involved in an accident.

“We’ll look towards the TT now and we’re going through everything with a fine comb to make sure both William and Cameron [Donald] have the best bikes possible.

“I think other teams are going to be looking over their shoulder at us after the North West because we showed just how good we are and it’s nice to finally get that win, which was only a matter of time as far as I’m concerned.”

[Image: wdunlopwinatnw2012.jpg]
Carl Fogarty looks on as William Dunlop (Craig Honda) leads Alastair Seeley (Tyco Suzuki) on his way to victory during the opening Supersport race at the Relentless North West 200. PICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

Craig funds a private team and ploughs a huge amount of his own finances into the venture, but he feels his team does not receive the publicity it deserves.

“All you hear about is TAS Racing, but I run a small team and we don’t get the coverage in the media we deserve,” he said.

“I put a lot of money into motorcycle racing and I think our team is the best.

“We work hard and leave nothing to chance,”
he added.

“We were unlucky at the TT last year but I feel we have an excellent chance again, although you could come home with nothing, such is the nature of the TT.

“Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much effort you put in or how good the bikes are, the TT is just a unique event and you can’t count on anything, but we will prepare as best we can and both our riders are feeling confident.”

Dunlop crashed out of the first Superbike race and hurt his ankle following the spill at the Road Racing Ireland ‘Magic’ roundabout in Coleraine.

The 26-year-old had the injury assessed in hospital and has not suffered any broken bones, but he is in some discomfort and may sit out this weekend’s British championship 125cc race at Snetterton to aid his recovery for the TT.

“Thankfully there is nothing broken but I’m in a bit of pain with it and it was causing me bother when I was moving about on the pegs on Saturday afterwards,” he said.

“Wilson is keen for me to rest up as much as possible so I’ll probably miss Snetterton to get ready for practice at the TT.”

Reflecting on his Supersport victory – his first in the four-stroke class at the North West – Dunlop added: “It was nice to be the first rider to get that win for Wilson and I’m feeling good for the TT. The bike is really strong and I’m just enjoying riding all the bikes.

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

22-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Website Find Reply