NW200 the proposed course?
Anonymous
Unregistered

NW200 the proposed course?
Just finished reading "The Power and the Glory" the history of the NW200 and was surprised to read in the first chapter that the Portrush triangle was the second choice of venue for the race.
The first proposed track was to be close to London/derry hence how North West is included in the race name.
Can anyone tell me where it is/was? Thats were Im from and would love to take a lap!
04-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: NW200 the proposed course?
I'm not totally sure, but the course proposed originally might have been that used on August 30 1923 by the Coleraine Club for their Coleraine "100" Road Race.

Lap of about 20 miles, covered 5 times.

Start at Mascosquin, towards Limavady. Three miles short of that town turn South-East to Ringsend, then left-handed back to the start.

Only ran once -- 16 Entries, 13 Starters, 7 Finishers.

One interesting point from that race - W C Hunter from Ballymena was entered and rode his bike to the circuit. At least he meant to, but en route hit a pig. Result? Instant pork, wrecked bike, non-start!!
04-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good grief, Larry, you never fail to amze and entertain me with your knowledge of obscure facts! Do you think he was the originator of the flourishing pork and bacon industry that is an Irish mainstay these days?
05-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

No Helen, I think the only thing we can deduce from this incident is that Mr Hunter couldn't steer round a pig in the road.

Perhaps it's as well he didn't make the race . . . . . . .

As to my "fund of knowledge", I'd love to say that it's the result of years of dedicated research, lovingly carried out, but the truth is that I am lucky enough to have access to an archive which includes the Irish motoring and motorcycling publications of the time.

So, you see, it's easy!!

There, my secret is out . . . . . . . . !
06-01-2003, 09:49 AM