Top Ten For Day At Knockhill
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Top Ten For Day At Knockhill
[Image: cnracinglogo.jpg]

The Hebden Bridge-based CN Racing team were out in force at Knockhill this weekend with all three riders, Josh Day, Glenn Irwin and Cody Nally, putting in some strong performances in their respective championships.

Cirencester's Day put in his best performance of the year in the Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship to finish in ninth place which was his second successive top ten finish. Strong throughout qualifying, Day was never outside the top ten and although he encountered a problem in Saturday afternoon's final qualifying session, he regrouped strongly for the 24-lap race to put in a fine ride.

New team-mate Nally qualified superbly in tenth place aboard the ten Kate prepared Honda Fireblade during the opening, dry qualifying session but the changes the Irishman made to the rear suspension for the race didn't work as planned and he slipped back through the pack. Although he was unable to score any points, the Athlone rider fought hard until the very end and crossed the line in 19th place.

The two Motorpoint British Supersport Championship races saw Carrickfergus rider Irwin take tenth and 21st overall, which also gave him second and fourth in the Cup competition as he again went head to head with main rival Luke Jones. The duo were never more than a few seconds and places apart in Saturday's race but on this occasion, Glenn had to give best to Jones. The same battle looked set to take place on Sunday but gearbox problems on the Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 Yamaha intervened and although he dropped back to 21st overall, it was enough to give him fourth place in the Cup for some valuable points to maintain the series lead.

Josh Day:

"I really enjoyed today's race and after a slight problem in Saturday's practice session, I was delighted to come back strongly. It knocked my confidence a bit so when the lights went out, it took me a few laps to get dialled in again but I soon found my rhythm and managed to push hard right until the end. The bike's working really well now and because I'm more comfortable on it, I'm enjoying it too. It's nice to finish inside the top ten so the aim now is to keep improving and get closer to the boys running at the front."

Glenn Irwin:

"It's been a bit of a difficult weekend to be fair, which was a real shame as when we tested here a couple of weeks back we were right on the pace. All credit to the team, they never stopped working and were up until the early hours on both nights and the set-up of the bike was perfect. It was just a few gearbox issues that held me back and that made it hard to ride the bike but I dug in, kept going and in the end got two important results in the Cup competition. Obviously, I'm disappointed not to have finished higher up in the main race results but it's just been one of those weekends and we'll come back fighting at Oulton Park."

Cody Nally:

"Qualifying in the dry went really well but with the mixed conditions we simply ran out of track time to get the bike set up right. We changed to a stiffer spring for the race and went completely the wrong way so the race was certainly a struggle. I ended up going backwards, rather than forwards but I feel really good with the team and am sure that given more track time, we'll be able to get into the points."

Julia Taylor, Team Principal:

"The whole team's made really good progress all weekend and for Josh in particular, his confidence is improving all the time. I'm very happy with his result and it's good to see him running in the top ten where he should be. Cody's obviously new to the team and the bike so for his first time out, I think he did all he could. We're all happy to have him in the team and happy with how he's performed so with some decent track time, I'm sure he'll be able to push on strongly.

"Glenn had another good weekend and it was just a technical problem that held him back. We managed to get him back out on track on Sunday and claim a very valuable fourth place to keep him in the lead in the Cup. Obviously, he's been finishing in the top ten of the main race too so that's what we'll all be hoping for once again at the next round."

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship race 1 (18 laps)

1 Glen Richards (Triumph)
2 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha)
3 Sam Warren (Yamaha)
4 Billy McConnell (Triumph)
5 Richard Cooper (Triumph)
6 Luke Mossey (Triumph)
10 Glenn Irwin (Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 supported by CN Racing Yamaha)

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship race 2 (25 laps)

1 Billy McConnell (Triumph)
2 Glen Richards (Triumph)
3 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha)
4 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
5 Luke Mossey (Triumph)
6 Richard Cooper (Triumph)
21 Glenn Irwin (Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 supported by CN Racing Yamaha)

Championship standings (after five rounds)

1 Kennedy 182.5pts
2 Richards 164
3 McConnell 129
4 Warren 123
5 Wilson 121
6 Iddon 85.5
10 Irwin 59

Cup standings (after five rounds)

1 Irwin 193pts
2 Jones 177
3 East 130

Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship (24 laps)

1 Keith Farmer (Kawasaki)
2 Jimmy Storrar (BMW)
3 Victor Cox (Kawasaki)
4 David Johnson (BMW)
5 Steve Brogan (BMW)
6 John McGuinness (Honda)
9 Josh Day (CN Racing Honda)
19 Cody Nally (CN Racing Honda)

Championship standings (after seven rounds)

1 Farmer 95 pts
2 O'Halloran 92
3 Storrar 91
4 Buchan 85
5 Brogan 80
6 Cox 69

24-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Website Find Reply