Mixed Fortunes For CN Racing At Oulton Park
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Mixed Fortunes For CN Racing At Oulton Park
[Image: cnracinglogo.jpg]

The Hebden Bridge-based CN Racing team were out in force at Oulton Park this weekend with Glenn Irwin strengthening his grip on the British Supersport Championship Cup.

The Northern Ireland youngster was in fine form around the Cheshire circuit all weekend and it couldn't have started any better with a superb sixth place in Saturday's opening race. With Cup rival Luke Jones dropping out of the race it also meant he extended his championship lead further.

Sunday's longer race saw Jones take the early advantage and Glenn, from Carrickfergus, appeared to be losing ground but he gradually reeled his rival in as the race wore on. The duo were nose to tail going into the final lap but, try as he might, he was unable to find a way through and so settled for second and 20 more points towards his Cup total as he also took a fine tenth in the race overall.

Irish team-mate Cody Nally qualified strongly in 21st place for the Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship and made a good start to the race, immediately moving up inside the top 20. Battling with a long freight train of riders in contention for championship points, the Athlone ridergot shuffled back to 22nd on lap five and his race ended just four laps later when he crashed out, fortunately without injury, at Lodge Corner.

Glenn Irwin:

"It's been a bit of a pretty good weekend and I can't complain at all. Saturday's race went to plan and with Luke dropping out, it certainly helped the Cup standings. During today's race, I was a bit slow to begin with and Luke got a gap on me but once I got into my rhythm I was able to pull him back in. I was thinking about making a pass but, at the same time, I didn't want to do anything daft so rather than risk anything, I settled for the position. I've got a healthy lead over Luke now and am ninth overall in the main championship so, for my first year in the Supersport class, it's definitely a case of so far, so good."

Cody Nally:

"Qualifying again went well and I was happy with the way the bike was working so, after a good start, I felt comfortable in the race. I felt that I had the pace to run with the riders in the 10th to 15th positions and got a bit frustrated with those riders directly in front of me as I felt they were holding me up a bit. In the end, I had a bit of a coming together with another rider and ran into the gravel so it was a disappointing way for my race to end. The bike's great and the team's great so I just need a bit more track time to get properly dialled in and then, hopefully, we'll be back amongst the points."

Julia Taylor, Team Principal:

"It's been a mixed weekend to be fair, with great results from Glenn offset by disappointment for Cody. Glenn had a good weekend but we're still working to improve his bike a bit more and if we can do that, it will make his life that bit more easier and we'll see him a lot further up. He finished both races in the top ten again though and scored a 1-2 in the Cup so we;re happy with his results.

"Cody's accident was unfortunate and after going very well in qualifying, we were all hopeful of a good result but, sadly, it wasn't meant to be and it was just a simple, racing incident. Overall, though we're happy with both the riders and have had a good, enjoyable weekend so we'll look for more of the same, and hopefully better, next time out."

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship race 1 (10 laps)

1 Billy McConnell (Triumph)
2 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
3 Luke Mossey (Triumph)
4 Pauli Pekkanen (Triumph)
5 Kev Coghlan (Yamaha)
6 Glenn Irwin (Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 supported by CN Racing Yamaha)

Motorpoint British Supersport Championship race 2 (15 laps)

1 Glen Richards (Triumph)
2 Billy McConnell (Triumph)
3 Jack Kennedy (Yamaha)
4 Ben Wilson (Kawasaki)
5 Luke Mossey (Triumph)
6 Richard Cooper (Triumph)
9 Glenn Irwin (Met Healthcare/Megastore 247 supported by CN Racing Yamaha)

Championship standings (after 6 rounds)

1 Kennedy 198.5pts
2 Richards 189
3 McConnell 174
4 Wilson 154
5 Warren 123
6 Mossey 100
9 Irwin 75

Cup standings (after 6 rounds)

1 Irwin 238pts
2 Jones 202.5
3 East 162

Metzeler National Superstock 1000cc Championship (9 laps)

1 David Johnson (BMW)
2 Victor Cox (Kawasaki)
3 Keith Farmer (Kawasaki)
4 Jason O'Halloran (Honda)
5 Steve Brogan (BMW)
6 PJ Jacobsen (Suzuki)
DNF Cody Nally (CN Racing Honda)

Championship standings (after 8 rounds)

1 Farmer 111pts
2 O'Halloran 105
3 Storrar 98
4 Brogan 90
5 Johnson 90
6 Cox 89

(This post was last modified: 08-07-2012, 07:21 PM by Malcolm.)
08-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Website Find Reply