Strong focus on Silverstone for BMW Motorrad Motorsport
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Strong focus on Silverstone for BMW Motorrad Motorsport
[Image: bmwracinglogo.gif]

The first of two Superbike World Championship rounds in August begins this weekend, when Silverstone circuit in the UK hosts round 10 of the 2012 series, before it makes its debut in Moscow, Russia, two weeks later.

Coming on the back of three wins in the last three races, which has put him firmly in reach of a first ever World Superbike Championship, Marco Melandri is relishing the opportunity of returning to the track where he has achieved notable success in the past. His rostrum finishes in 2011 set him on his way to finishing runner-up in his debut WSBK year and he will be relishing the opportunity of returning to the fast and flowing track where the power of the S 1000 RR could play a major role.

“I am really looking forward to Silverstone,” says Marco. “I like the track very much; it is one of the fastest and longest circuits of the season. You have a lot of fast corners, so you can adopt a flowing riding style. Last year I was twice on the podium there. For sure it will be not easy as the track is very bumpy but I am confident, so I cannot wait to ride there with my RR.

“I just try to keep consistent, to think from race to race and to have fun while riding. I hope that we will be again fighting for the podium at Silverstone and we will try to get some more wins. But it certainly will not be easy because all the English riders want to win there. Carlos Checa for sure will also try to push for the victory and Max also will be strong. So it will be two very exciting races.”

Racing in the UK for the second time this year will be a bonus for Leon Haslam, who knows the Silverstone circuit like the ‘back of his hand’ as his father Ron runs a race school there and he has completed thousands of laps of the 5.902 km track. With the added bonus of passionate British fans cheering him all around the circuit, Leon is hoping that he can improve on his five podiums to date by stepping on top of the rostrum at the iconic circuit.

“I am very positive about the weekend,” says Leon. “Silverstone means racing back in England, but is also means that we have left the two bogey circuits behind us. The last couple of rounds have been tough but I feel that we made important steps and can now get back to normal and to winning ways. And there is no better place to do that than at my home race. Silverstone is very flowing and one of the fastest circuits in the calendar. It is very technical and has some real high speed corners, which makes for good racing.”

With the whole team looking forwards to making the trip across the English Channel to the ‘Home of British Motor Racing’, Head of Race Operations Andrea Dosoli believes that both Leon and Marco have a big chance of success this weekend. With a lead for BMW in the Manufacturers’ Championship to defend, and a 21-points deficit in the Riders’ standings to chase down, expect strong challenges from both RR riders throughout practice, qualifying and race-day.

“All the team is looking forward to Silverstone, a racetrack where both riders have performed well in the past,” he says. “The British circuit with its unique layout and a surface that can be bumpy could be a tough challenge for our team. You also have to consider the unpredictable weather. But we are confident that our both riders will be fighting for the top positions and offer a great show to all the passionate spectators.

“Marco is in a fantastic form, he has won the last three races. He and his crew will work hard to be fast from the first practice on. We are thinking from race to race knowing that the competitors are very strong and ready to take any opportunity. For Leon, Silverstone will be his home race – he knows the track better than any other rider. And after what he has shown during the last two races on circuits where he had struggled in the past, we are convinced that the British track will be the right place for him to come back fighting for the podium, where he deserves to be.”

31-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Website Find Reply