Guy Martin wins main Ulster Grand Prix Superbike race
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Guy Martin wins main Ulster Grand Prix Superbike race
[Image: ugphdr2012.jpg]

Guy Martin won the main Superbike race at the Ulster Grand Prix after a thrilling duel with Michael Dunlop.

Martin led over the early laps before Dunlop caught him but the Ballymoney man slid off on the penultimate lap.

Earlier, the Dunlop brothers Michael and William took Superstock and Supersport victories at Dundrod.

Bruce Anstey edged out William Dunlop in a thrilling second Supersport race with Ryan Farquhar and Davy Morgan taking Supertwins and 250 victories.

Martin's Superbike triumph ended a barren couple of months for the English rider on the roads as his earned his eighth Ulster Grand Prix victory with another Lincolnshire man Gary Johnson profiting from Dunlop's exit to take second and Conor Cummins in third.

Despite suffering from a back injury, Michael Dunlop won the opening Superstock race ahead of Ian Lougher and Martin.

William Dunlop took the first Supersport race just ahead of Anstey with Lee Johnston third in a race halted early by a red flag.

New Zealander Anstey appeared to have an edge on speed before the first Supersport race was halted and said afterwards that he had intended to move ahead over the closing two laps.

However, Anstey earned revenge in their second Supersport race as he produced a superb last-lap overtaking manoeuvre to pip William Dunlop in the race of the day with Conor Cummins in third.

Dunlop had a healthy lead early on in the second Supersport race but Anstey were right on his tail by the start of the final lap.

Backmarkers threatened to make Dunlop's task on the closing circuit but Anstey produced his late brilliance to clinch victory.

Michael Dunlop has been suffering from two slipped discs in his back but came in ahead of veteran Lougher and Tyco Suzuki rider Martin in the Superstock opener at Dundrod.

[Image: guyugpwin2012.jpg]

Martin led early on but said that difficulty reading his pit board had affected his chances in the second half of the race.

"I was reading the wrong board. I thought I had got a penalty," he said.

"I thought I had been penalised for a jump-start. I was obviously reading somebody else's pit board that looked like mine but it's very difficult when you are going at about 160mph."

Some pundits have been predicting that Dunlop could equal Phillip McCallen's 16-year old record of five wins in one day at the Ulster Grand Prix and he made the perfect start on Saturday.

"My back is not in the best condition but once I get back on the bike, I'm not too bad," said Dunlop after the win.

Behind the first three, Anstey took fourth with Cummins and Lee Johnston in fifth and sixth places in Saturday's opener.

The Supertwins race had to be restarted because of an incident on lap two but Farquhar dominated throughout as he finished ahead of his KMR Kawasaki team-mate Jamie Hamilton and Russ Mountford.

In the concurrently run 250cc race, Paul Robinson's late retirement allowed Morgan to take the victory ahead of another Northern Ireland man Seamus Elliott and English rider Kevin Strowger.

An emotional Strowger dedicated his podium finish to the memory of his late friend Lee Vernon who died on Friday after sustaining injuries at Thursday's Dundrod 150 meeting.

RESULTS

SUPERSTOCK

1. M Dunlop

2. I Lougher

3. G Martin

SUPERSPORT RACE 1

1. W Dunlop

2. B Anstey

3. L Johnston

SUPERTWINS

1. R Farquhar

2. J Hamilton