Crashes down to riders, not conditions, says clerk of course
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Crashes down to riders, not conditions, says clerk of course
[Image: mgpgreenlogo.jpg]

The clerk of the course at the Manx Grand Prix has defended the decision to allow Friday's Senior race to run to its conclusion, despite increasingly wet conditions.

Phil Taubman appeared live on Mandate on Manx Radio this morning, to look back at how this year's festival had gone.

There were eleven incidents during one half-hour period of the race, with a number of riders being taken to hospital.

Some marshals have voiced their concern over the fact the race wasn't halted.

But Mr Taubman told John Moss he thought crashes were more down to the riders than the weather:

Listen To Related Audio Clip

[Image: manxradiomain.gif]
03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Website Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Crashes down to riders, not conditions, says clerk of course
Phew,that,s some statement to make, unfortunately it,s true. In any accident,unless caused by machine,component failure, being hit by another bike, tree falling on the track or whatever, then it,s obvious that a rider is pushing the boundries of safety, but at the end of the day it is a race and racers do take chances. Every decision made prior to the senior was correct in view of safety, but maybe the flag should have gone out sooner in the deteriorating conditions, but i would not have liked to make that decision. I am of the opinion that todays wide tyres needed for good dry conditions can not be made safe at the wide profile needed to perform in the wet, no matter what compound or how many grooves they have in them. I think they have a boating effect and loose feel. Just my opinion. I hope all the lads make a good and quick recovery,real heroes, just right bad luck in horroble conditions. Red flag ,maybe, but no blame either way.
While,st i,m poking about on the ,puter, isn,t it about time the garlanding ceremony is held after all riders have completed the race, surely the last man home is just as important as the winners.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2012, 10:28 PM by ian charlton.)
03-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Find Reply