Barry Sheene at TT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barry Sheene at TT
Could anyone tell me whether Barry Sheene started a TT or did he only practice and if so what year? i've got a bet with a know all in the local.
07-02-2003, 02:08 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Barry Sheene at TT
Yes pykey, he did race at the TT.

It was in 1971, riding a Suzuki in the lightweight of which he fell off at Quarter Bridge and also retired from the 250 Production.

His belief was that for the risks, he was not getting paid enough, so he never raced the TT again.
07-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sheene fell off at Quarterbridge on the second lap whilst lying second. He retired on the first lap of the production. Contary to popular opinion, Sheene didn't call it a day in 1971. He entered the TT in 1972, but an accident at Imola put him out of the event. He then decided that there was more publicity to be had in voicing highly controversial anti TT propaganda. My opinion of the man is unprintable!!!!
07-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the that infomation gentlemen looks like i have won my bet.
07-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think there has been an unfortunate amount of bad feeling towards Barry about the T.T. In my opinion, Agostini was at least AS anti following the death of Parlotti but that seemes to have been forgotten.
I have something to get off my chest.
I did something very childish once (at least once!) I queued for autoghraphs at a show, Various Heron Suzuki riders were there Pate Hennen etc. I put my book down to be signed and moved it past Brry, saying "this is for T.T. riders!" Sorry Barry, I shouldnt have done that!!
The other thing I wanted to mention is the asthma that Barry claimed was worse in the Island.
The fact is that Barrey was a great rider and we should not let his anti TT feelings cloud that.
Mike

08-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Mike,

I don't doubt that Sheene was (and still is) a good rider. However, I do believe that his achievements do not stand up to real scrutiny. He won two world championships on the bike of the moment, the RG Suzuki. The problem was that he had the only truly works bike, his team mates, (John williams, John Newbold etc) had bog standard machines. Also, MV were past their sell by date and Yamaha were still in development.
Sheene's greatest achievement was as a self publicist and his anti TT diatribe was all part of this. Hypocritically he rode at Scarborough without any criticism of the dangers.
True Agostini, Read and others were just as vociferous at the time, but their views have mellowed or become more constructive over the years.(Read returned to race and Agostini has been back for the parades) Sheene, unfortunately, is still good for an anti TT quote.
08-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I hate the bloody Isle of Man"...Opening words of Sheenes tribute to Joey Dunlop,"Joey" video by Duke.Nuff said...
10-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Barry ,might have been outspoken regarding the TT which we all love , but his achievements are in the sport many , last year this man won Classic 500 races of the highest order, all this knowing he was fighting a serious illness , which we learn today from our M C N that his battle is far from won , i for one wish him well in his struggle to beat this awful illness .

steve c. .
12-02-2003, 10:35 PM