Ryan McCay relishing season ahead on MV Agusta
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Ryan McCay relishing season ahead on MV Agusta
[Image: ryanmccay.jpg]

Northern Ireland road racer Ryan McCay is counting on Italian flair to help him achieve his personal goals at this year’s Isle of Man TT races.

The former Junior Manx Grand Prix runner-up will ride an MV Agusta F3 675 in the Supersport class this season after joining forces with British championship team Robinsons of Rochdale.

McCay, from Strabane, will compete at the Vauxhall North West 200 in May before making his second appearance at the TT.

He also hopes to return to the Ulster Grand Prix at Dundrod in August for the first time since 2003.

Former Supersport TT race winner Gary Johnson has also opted to ride the new MV Agusta F3 675 this year in legendary engine tuner Jack Valentine’s resurrected ValMoto Racing outfit.

McCay told the News Letter he had set himself a target of lapping at 120mph in the Supersport races on the Snaefell Mountain circuit in June.

“I’m looking forward to this season and it’s something different for me.

“I’ve never raced a triple before and it’s going to be new to me, but it should be good,”
he said.

[Image: robinsonslogo.jpg]

“I’m riding for Robinsons of Rochdale and I’ve got to pass on my thanks to Bob Grant, who did a bit of road racing himself in the past at the likes of the North West 200.

“I know Bob quite well and he helped sort the deal out for me, so I’ve got an MV Agusta 675 at the moment and if we can get a budget sorted out then hopefully I’ll be riding the 1000cc F4-RR as well in the bigger classes,”
McCay added.

“The team has been testing this week at Oulton Park and the feedback is that the new 600 is good; my own bike is being built at the moment and I should be out on it in the next few weeks.

“I hope to do a few short circuit races before the North West 200 comes around and then it will be straight to the TT after that.”

McCay, who crashed out of the Senior Manx Grand Prix in 2009 while leading, believes Lincolnshire star Johnson could spring a surprise on the Italian machine at the TT this year.

“On paper the 675 looks strong and I think Gary Johnson will be right up there at the TT,” he said.

“My goal is to progress up the ranks a bit and hopefully lap at 120mph in the Supersport races.”

[Image: newletterlogo.jpg]

15-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Website Find Reply