BSB v ROAD RACING
Anonymous
Unregistered

BSB v ROAD RACING
Not TT but just a thought. I was unable to go to Silverstone today,had to call off the last moment.
I had a phone call from a friend who informed me that I hadn't missed much & the 2nd Superbike race had only 11 starters.You certainly need a full grid for the top championship in the country, does things get better from here or the start of a decline in the importance of a decimated British racing format dominated by road bikes & a handfull of known riders.There are even rumours that some teams haven't enough money to start the season leave alone see it through. On the pure road racing front we seem to be on the verge of the best season for years, with the NW200 just over a month away & the best TT entry for years we certainly can be quietly confident we are in for a treat.
30-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: BSB v ROAD RACING
Exactly what we thought Elwyn about lack of starters.Quite frankly there is no way I would travel and pay large gate fees to watch such a depleted field for the main races.The public are being conned into parting with their cash.Consider how much it costs to have a day out at these meetings.Much more sensible to have a week's holiday in the IoM or Ireland and take in a good real road race
31-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

31-03-2003, 09:29 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Elwyn if its BSB versus roadracing there is no contest but dont tell everyone Skerries has been booked up a year in advance, never mind there is always Kells?
31-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why is there this relentless sniping at motorcycle racing that isn't "real road racing"? Maybe I'm just too thick to be a "true fan" of "real racing", but I'm looking forward to a summer filled with BSB, WSB, Moto GP, Darley Moor, Olivers Mount, Aberdare Park, Le Mans 24hrs, Speedway, Schleizer Dreieck,Namur, Mettet, Chimay, Irish races and last but not least the magnificent TT races. Why folk have to slag off ANY form of bikesport is quite beyond me.Rejoice in the depth and breadth of choice we have on our doorsteps.It could be worse...we could be living in Baghdad...
31-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very true.I love it all really.It is just that I feel the organisers of these top level meetings exploit the public unnecessarily.They become greedy.If I knew I was onto a good thing I would be happy making money without wanting more all the time.The racing would be far more interesting,spectator wise if the grids were full.They are not full simply because it is too expensive for small teams.I have been a dedicated racing supporter since I was first introduced to it and I have lost none of my enthusiasm.It is no criticsm of the racing as far as I am concerned,simply the usual fat cats that exist in all walks of life.I stay away for that reason only.I prefer to support the meetings that rely on unpaid volunteers.That is the real backbone of the sport
01-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hillary & John,You have put in words exactly what I was thinking,I have also supported racing at all levels from club to GP's, TT,Ulster & all other road racing since over 35 years & still enjoy it. It's not slagging off short circuits just a question of economics, ie the cost, and enjoyment we get from our hard earned cash. Our flagship domestic championship needs more than half full grids so we get close racing down the field.It's a shame if the BSB does not live up to expectations, but I certainly hope it does.It still will not distract from the fact that this will be a cracking road racing season. Just a thought, tomorrow 2nd of April would have been Mike Hailwood's 63rd birthday, he is still very much missed.
See you at the NW200 & the TT!
01-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

This whole discussion is somewhat pointless.

How long does it take for you all to realise that the organisers of the BSB series have no interest whatsoever in the racing of motor cycles?

Rather, their target is, and always has been, the getting and spending of money. If the BSB series didn't give them access to the cash of real enthusiasts, they would be in another money-generating area altogether.

The Foulston siblings are, I fear, birds of a feather. John, God rest him, must be spinning in his grave!!!!!

I'm rather glad that I'm in one of the few areas left where motor cycle sport is still just that - a SPORT.

Although they are coming to Mondello Park next July . . . . . . . . . . . . .

May we be preserved from infection!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in agreement with Elwyn having supported racing of all types for 40+ years the best value to be had is the roads of Ireland, it seems to me BSB is getting out of hand and to be quite honest i dont know what the answer is?
01-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Larry, I get your message, you are telling us in a polite way that we are being ripped off! It seems for this year it's the roads that holds all the promise & good value, and as a closing point the BSB title favourite Michael Rutter is also a top road racer so maybe this year the BSB champion will also be a NW200 & TT winner-nice thought.See you soon
01-04-2003, 11:58 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its not just us who are being ripped off. Young riders, like the late, much missed Ross, can't afford to compete in the next level of their sport with fees and built in costs way beyond what they can afford. The best talent isn't necessarily the one with the most money, but he will get the entry, and may win a pointless series.
02-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Elwyn, if you think that I was being polite, then I apologise.

I certainly didn't mean to be!!!!
02-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: BSB v ROAD RACING, and the cost of a bap
02-04-2003, 05:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

I taped the Superbikes and watched it Monday night. Must have been exciting, I fell asleep partway through it!!!
02-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

At that price, I would have not bought the t-shirt.
02-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont know about the T shirt, but the guy on the butty van should have ended up wearing the bap...
02-04-2003, 11:41 PM