Latest TT Press Releas
Anonymous
Unregistered

Latest TT Press Releas
The latest TT press release (no. 6 dated 14/04/03) contains incorrect information about myself Anita Buxton.

I am actually the 4th quickest female solo competitor NOT the 10th quickest. My fastest lap is 102.68mph on a Production ZX900R in 1999, but since that date I have continually been refused entry on a big bike. Despite appealing to the Race Management Team, the only race I've been accepted for in TT2003 is the Lightweight 400. The Press Release has incorrectly stated that I will be racing my Suzuki GSXR1000 in the Formula One, Production 1000 and Senior Races, but unfortunately once again, I have not been given this opportunity.

I have requested a retraction of this information ASAP to prevent any further confusion and bad publicity for myself, my supporters and my sponsors. The current press release could be construed as misleading and libellous, and does not reflect my racing ability.

Catch me (if you can) at the North West 200 where I WILL be racing my GSXR1000 and ZXR400.

Keep it nailed!

Anita x
16-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Latest TT Press Releas
Didn't really get much of it correct at all did they!!!!Sock it to 'em gal----hard
16-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very well said Anita !

I glad you've put the record straight, and I'm
very disappointed you've not been given the
opportunity to the race your new Suzuki at the
TT, you're just as quick as Maria Costello but
not given an entry to improve on your previous times, having been badly let down with lots of mechanical failures with the previous 750 Kawasaki.
If anyone was to look back to previous Manx GP
in 1996 they would be able to see times set by
yourself and Maria Costello were almost identical.
But now the Race Management Team are driving a
wedge between your times, shame you'd think to
have two women in the TT on the bigger capacity bikes would give the TT good PR !

Go give 'em hell at North West 200, you'll get great results there on the GSXR
Suzuki !
16-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I know Anita I'm probably a bit biased, but I'll try to be as objective as possible about this situation. Firstly, it's very disappointing that an official TT Press release contains so many basic factual errors. Hopefully all future ones will be carefully checked for accuracy before being released.

As far as Anita's entries for the Formula 1 and Production races are concerned, it's a difficult situation really. Based purely on statistics it could certainly be argued that someone whose fastest lap is 102mph shouldn't be in the same race as riders who are lapping at 125 plus - but that is only part of the story. You can't improve if you're not given the opportunity, and since 1999 Anita hasn't been given the opportunity. The 102mph lap she did was on a Production Kawasaki 900 which was not particularly competitive, but having invested in a brand new GSXR Suzuki and with her circuit knowledge she would certainly be in with a shout of lapping at 110 plus this year.

What annoys me more, though, is her having her Production entry refused - presumably in favour of competitors who are using the race as a practice session for the MGP. I really think the time has come for this whole issue of MGP competitors being allowed to race in the TT Production races to be looked at again. Fifteen or twenty years ago there was a big difference between "racing" and "production" bikes, but that is no longer the case. I'm sure that quite a few competitors will be using exactly the same bikes in the Formula 1 and Senior races as they are using in the 1000 Production race - and similarly for the Junior and 600 Production races. Personally I think that the rule allowing MGP competitors to race in the TT Production races should be scrapped immediately, although I certainly don't blame competitors for taking advantage of the current rule - good luck to them.

Perhaps it is also time for riders who are being refused a TT entry on the grounds of not being "fast enough" to be given an opportunity to return to the MGP if they so wish. Possibly Anita made a mistake by moving up to the TT after only one MGP - had she stayed with the MGP she would have an almost guaranteed entry, and have a chance to do the TT Production races as well.

Anyway, the positive way for Anita to look at it is to get a really good North West on the big Suzuki on her racing cv, so that the TT organisers have no choice but to give her an entry next year!

17-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered

As they say here in Scotland, Gie them laldy, Anita. They are a law unto themselves, aren't they? Good luck in the NW, and looking forward to seeing you at the TT.
17-04-2003, 08:15 PM